Kidnap My Affection

Fake Conviction.

“You know, that little outburst of yours yesterday was uncalled for.” That voice. There she was again. Everywhere I turned it seemed she’d be standing there, reminding me. Reminding me of how annoying she was, how irritating it was that she could stand up to me. Most of all she reminded me of how much she really deserved to be here. How her talents far surpassed those of any I knew. That’s what infuriated me.

“Who do you think you are? You can’t just come up to me and talk to me whenever you want. You need to learn your place, before I forcefully shove you in it.” My voice was strained, due to me trying not to scream at her.

I noticed how everyone’s eyes were now on us. The crowded hallway came to a standstill to watch. While I wished she’d walk away and save both of us from embarrassing ourselves, she just cocked an eyebrow before opening her mouth to speak again.

“I know who I am, but I sure as hell don’t know who you are. Or whom you think you might be. I didn’t come to this school to be pushed around by pompous, arrogant, self-centered mediocre pianists. I will speak to whomever I wish.” She spat. I could see the fury etched into her awkward features. I could hear audible gasps and a few snickers at her comment.

If I was infuriated before, I was enraged now. My entire body shook with anger as she stood before me, almost angelic in a twisted sense. This girl would be the death of me, and I’ll be damned if I go down without a fight. If she wanted to act this way, then I could do nothing but return the favour.

“I happen to be the most important person you’ll ever have the privilege of knowing. It’s only a matter of time before you’re bowing at my feet. You’ve overstepped the boundaries and there are consequences for that.” I stood to my full height, dropping my book bag to the floor, and abandoning my open locker.

Suddenly her eyes were averted to the floor, and in my moment of satisfaction I didn’t notice that she’d moved closer. That is, until I felt her fingers curl around my shoulder, sending a delicious feeling to tingle through my body. I almost pulled away in disgust – at myself more than at her – before she spoke again. This time, soft enough for only me to hear.

“Someone as empty and as shallow as you are doesn’t deserve the talent you have. You play with such conviction, such passion; it almost makes me believe there’s a real person behind this faux persona I thought I saw. Yet, you’ve just made me realize, it isn’t fake. You are everything you appear to be.”

She tore herself away from me before walking away. Leaving me stunned, leaving me confused, leaving me…ashamed. Her words kept echoing in my head. Leaving their mark, etching themselves in, not to be forgotten.

“She’ll learn her place soon enough.” Stefan, who suddenly appeared at my side, said reassuringly, yet I knew. She didn’t need to learn her place. I did.