Elementalist

Chapter 11- Connor

Night had basically fallen on top of Hex and me. We sat slightly on the edge of the cliff. I had re-done my bandages for my bloody hands but now my whole body hurt, especially my broken ribs. I caught Hex looking at me as if I was demented or horribly ugly. I shot him a looked that made him flinch, "Why do you keep looking at me like that?"

He didn't answer right away; I figured he was gaining his self-confidence, "Your hair," he managed to say, "is the color of your eyes when you went all fire like."

"What color is that?"

 "Red and orange."

"WHAT?!" I got up and tried to see my hair but couldn't. He grabbed my around my chest before I did something stupid, such as jumping off the cliff. "Ow, Hex, that HURTS!"

"Sorry, Connor, but I have an easier way than jumping off the cliff!" He loosened up a bit on my chest, "I do have a mirror, you know!"

I stopped struggling and Hex let go of me. I held my chest and followed him to his car. Hex pushed me into the passengers' seat and flipped down the visor so that the mirror shone light onto my face. I blinked at myself in the mirror after my eye's got used to the light. He was right about my hair.

My usual black hair was outlined in orange while my roots where a bright red color. "Damn it! Now I look like Metal Freak"

Hex flinched at the words 'Metal Freak'. It was the nickname of Hex's second oldest brother, Hay, who disappeared when we were seven. He was eleven when he disappeared. I couldn't blame Hex, though, seeing as Hay loved knifes and swords.

 Hex leaned against the car and picked up a piece of paper off from the ground. I snatched it from him, painfully, and looked at it, the sharp edges from side to side and the bend in the middle. I flipped it over and there, in the smack middle of the paper, was the word Connor.

I looked at Hex who looked as confused as I was. I opened it and read, out loud, what it said, "I'm out to get you, Connor, and I won't stop 'til you're dead! It’s signed by 'one who you know from HTWBE'. Well, this is bullshit."
  
I looked up at Hex who stood there, "Hex, can you drive me home?"
   
 "Sure, Connor," Hex said, walking over to the drivers' side of the car and turned the engine on.
    
I hung my right foot out of the window and crossed my arms across my painful chest. I knew the pain would long on me until I would actually answer. We drove to my house.
 
 
  
  Nick looked at me, the first thing he asked was, "What the hell happened to your hair?" I ignored him and rubbed my chest.
   
 "I'll tell you later, where's Rachel and Tina?"
   
 I glanced at the window at Hex, who looked bored and sat with his arms crossed over his chest. "Rachel's upstairs with Tina," Nick said, he sounded tired, "why?"
    
"We need to go. Get some clothes and go sit in Hex's car," I bounded upstairs, jumping over two or three stairs at a time. The upstairs was as much as the same as the except for the fact that all the bedrooms were upstairs. I ran through the hallway to Tina's room.
    
"Hey, Connor," Rachel said ask I rushed in.
   
 "Hey, get your stuff and go out to the car with Nick and Hex."
   
 "Who's Hex...?" Rachel asked and I gave her a looked which she got up and wandered out.
    
I looked at Tina, who slept in her bed. She was beautiful for her age. She had baby blue eyes and black hair. I felt like crying at her soft face; it reminded me of my mother. I picked Tina up and held her in my arms. She was five, but she never met her two oldest brothers, Jimmy or David. I hoped she never would.

"Connor!"

 I looked up and glanced at the window. Hex stood there, hands outstretched at something. I held Tina firmly and bounded down the stairs, making sure I didn't fall and break more of my body, and ran out the doors into the chilly night.

"What's happening?" I asked as Rachel took Tina into the backseat with her.

"Dunno," Nick answered, his fireballs were out in front of him.

"Hex, come on, let's---" I glanced at Hex who stood there, hands by his side at first then he fell to the ground, "Hex!"

Nick looked from the headlights coming closer and closer with every passing second to Hex who was lying on the ground. I stood there, kind of in a dazed at what just happened, then picked Hex up and put him into the passengers' side of the car. His side was bleeding from a large cut basically running the size of his ribcage. I pulled myself into the drivers' seat and started the car up.

"Oh shit, Connor is driving!" Rachel yelled, holding Tina close.

"Shut the hell up, Rachel," I cussed at her, "Nick, get in!"

Nick didn't budge. It was like he was captivated by the headlights. He didn't even look at me; he was probably in his own thoughts about what he should do. After three minutes, his fireballs, usual orange, red, and yellow color, turned bright red. "Connor, go on without me," he said, back still turned to us. The headlights stopped about fifteen feet in front of him, close enough for Nick's fireballs to touch them. "Go, now."

"Connor, listen to your younger brother and get us the hell out of here!" Rachel yelled. I was shocked. I was about to lose my stubborn younger brother to the elemental freaks, "Connor!"
  
I returned to my normal self, stepped on the gas and left my youngest brother by himself with the elemental freaks, Good luck, little brother.