Elementalist

Chapter 22-Rachel

I leaned against the cold bars, back up against then and arms crossed over my chest. “Guess who I saw today, Sir Nick.”

Nick yawned and looked at me, even though my back was turned I felt his eyes looking at me, “Who, Rach?”

“Connor and Tina’s beautiful,” I smiled and glanced over my shoulder at him. He looked at me and laughed.

“Really? As beautiful as out mother was, Rach? What about Connor? Does his still have his colorful hair?” he asked.

“She’s very beautiful, Sir Nick. And yes, Connor does have the colorful hair still,” I laughed. Nick and I have been calling each other these names for five years now, “and Connor stopped using his power.”

“Why’d he do that, Rach?”

“He didn’t want to put Tina in danger, I guess,” I sighed, “anyways, I’ll see him tomorrow, again. For now, though, dinner calls. Night, Sir Nick.”

I wandered away after Nick said goodbye and ended up in the crowded hallway. I headed towards my father’s room. “Dad, are you in here?”

Sir smiled at me, “Hello, Rachel, Hun. What brings you here?”

“It’s dinner, you know, where you eat food that people made,” I sighed. Everyone calls my father ‘sir’ thinking it’s his real name. Man, I’d love to yell at my father using his real name…

“Ah, okay, let me finish this first,” he said as I stood near the door, semi-antsy. He had papers on his desk and he looked at one of them.

“Dad, why does Jerry have to watch me all day?”

“I don’t trust you to hang out with Rejected Elementalists, Rachel, that’s why.”

“Dad, not all of them are bad! Take, as an example, Nick and Charlie!”

“They’re under us now, Rachel,” he said back. I laughed.

“Then why are they in cages, dad?!” I wanted to hell his own name at him, “Is it because you don’t trust them?!”

As I said this, the one and only Jerry walked in and I laughed.

“Hello, Rachel, Sir,” he said after shutting the door. I opened it, stood in between the room and hallway and laughed.

“Stop calling him Sir,” I was laughing and yelling at the same time, “his name’s Andrew, not Sir!”

“Rachel!” I heard my father yell as I bolted out of there, I ran right to the cages.

“What are you doing, Rach?” Nick asked as I unlocked the door and opened it.

“I’m getting you and Charlie out of here, Sir Nick,” I said, “hurry up, we need to get Charlie, too!”

He ran out and I headed off when someone dropped down from the metal walls. I stopped, suddenly, which made Sir Nick almost fall backwards.

“Where are you going, Rachel?” he asked and I laughed at Hay.

“I’m getting the hell out of here, Hay, and I’m bringing Charlie and Nick with me.”

“Well, now, Rachel, you know I can’t let you do that.”

“You could come with us, Hay,” I said, “anyways, we are going to see Connor tomorrow, and Hex was with him earlier.”

“Connor’s still alive?” he sounded shocked, “and he’s with Hex? Fine, meet me outside near the backdoor. I’ll get Charlie.”

I smiled, “Okay, come on, Sir Nick.”

Five minutes passed and Hay didn’t come out, “Where do you think he is, Rach? Think he backstabbed us?”

“Hay wouldn’t backstab us, Sir Nick, you know that,” I shivered and made one of my flames come up between my fingers to warm me, “and he’s probably getting Charlie, or coming here now, Sir Nick,” I sighed when Charlie dropped out of thin air about 2 feet away from us, “Hey, Charlie! Where’s Hay?”

“Remind me never to do that again,” Charlie said rubbing his head, “Hay’s coming, Rachel.”

I thought for a minute then yawned and put the small finger fire away, “Rach, one question.”

“Huh, what?” I asked Nick.

“Where are we going to sleep tonight?” Nick asked and Charlie banged on the wall. Hay dropped down from the metal wall and grinned.

“You’ll see, Sir Nick,” I grinned, “everyone ready?”

“Yeah, but one more thing,” Hay said, handing me money, “lets get dinner, too.”

“Okay,” I said, putting the money in my pocket, “come on!” I headed towards the bridge with three boys, Charlie, Sir Nick, and Hay, following me.