Elementalist

Chapter 23-Tina

I couldn’t fall asleep. I kept thinking back to what Hex and Connor said earlier. Hex had fallen asleep as soon as he laid down and Connor was cussing under his breath and tossed and turned.

Sitting up, I looked around and wondered the time. Connor said to get a good night’s sleep and that was on my mind, too. I got up and sat at the kitchen table.

After a few minutes of quietness, I heard someone’s feet shuffling behind me. I kept my head down and the footsteps stopped, “Tina, are you okay?” it was Hex. I let him pick me up and sat down with me on his lap.

“Sort of, Hex,” I sighed. I couldn’t lie to Hex, “I heard you and Connor talking earlier.”

Hex sighed, “And? What’s on your mind?”

“Everything!” I didn’t whisper. It was bugging me saying Tina, gain all the information! Come on! Don’t be an afraid little kid! In my head, “Hex, can you tell me, please?”

“As long as you don’t tell Connor and you go back to bed after. Connor says we’re doing something tomorrow,” Hex looked at me.

“Promise, Hex.”

“Okay, Rachel is one of Connor’s friends from five years ago, the girl who you bumped into earlier was her,” he whispered, then continued, “and when Connor said ‘power’ he was talking of the Elemental Power he holds, from your father’s side of the family.

“You see, Tina, your father, my second dad, was legendary for holding all five Elemental powers, maybe even the three rarest ones too. Those Elemental powers are fire, air, water, earth and power balls.

“When your brother said ‘your oldest brother’ to me, he meant Charlie, my real oldest brother through blood of parents, Tina, and he doesn’t want you to know, see or anything like that, of his pain.”

I looked at him and couldn’t believe my ears, “Okay, Hex,” I mumbled. He picked me up, wandered up the stairs with me over his shoulder and put me back into the bed.

“Now, go to sleep, no more questions.”

I woke up in the morning to the fresh outside air. After a few minutes, I figured out that Connor was carrying me, in his arms, outside, through town and into the forest.

“Morning, sleepy-head,” he laughed, looked at me and continued after Hex who looked as confused as I was, “Don’t worry, we’ll be there in a few minutes.”

I yawned, trying to grasp the real world. I was still in my own world of dreams.

“This is where you were five years ago, Connor? What a rip off!”

“At least I saved your ass once,” Connor stated back and I remembered what Hex told me. Connor had set me down, laid on the ground himself and waited, “Hex, wake me up if someone comes.”

“Oh, yeah, sleep your god damn worries off, Connor,” Hex mumbled and I sat next to him.