Elementalist

Chapter 31-Hex

I stared at my hands, not really put together anymore. I now knew how Connor felt when Tina and his mother and father died. Would he be this grief driven if I died or killed myself? I kept asking myself, trying to find the answer. It has been, at least, two to four months since Nick called me, telling me that Connor had murdered himself. He couldn’t have felt as much pain as I have felt seeing as I could never return Connor’s favor.

“Are you just going to sulk all day?” Charlie asked, leaning in the doorway of my room. We had moved in with Nick after Connor’s death.

“Why does it matter, Charlie?” I asked back, still admiring my hands.

“Because, we have stuff to do and I found something you might like, Hexagram,” Charlie answered, coming in and sitting down next to me. He was still my brother, even though he was now twenty-eight, twenty-nine years old.

“What’d you find?” I asked, looking at Charlie who grinned.

“This,” he handed me an envelope, sealed and addressed to me.

“Where’d you find this?” I asked, studying the shape, color, hand writing and such.

“One of the dens,” Charlie laughed, “anyways, open it.”

I opened it, pulled out a small stack of paper and opened the first one.

“Well?”

“They’re notes, Charlie.”

“Read them,” Charlie urged.

“Fine. First one says: Hex, you’re probably still guilty of not paying me back but in a year, bring me a bowl of food to my grave, that’ll be your payback. Anyways, my dad left me this when he died and he told me to give it to you when you’re ready and if you ever read this, you’re ready.”

Charlie yawned, “That’s all?”

“No,” I took a breath then continued, “My dad loved you, Hex, and he felt you’d be as good as your father. And so, he left you his charm. Be lucky, seeing as he told me ‘Hex could overwhelm you in power, Connor’ so I think that should give you a clue.”

“No way!” Charlie laughed and wandered away, “when you’re done sulking, come downstairs.”

Having disappeared from my room, I heard him laughing. I finished the note which said “and draw this on your palm ~ Connor” with a drawing. I opened the other note and something fell out. I picked it up, carefully, and studied it.

There’s that drawing again! I told myself as I studied it. The item I was holding was a coin with a large star, the five basic elemental symbols, one on each point, and a circle in the middle with the words “metal, void, wood” wrapping around it. Above the fire symbol was a small hole with a thin black rope through it.