Elementalist

Chapter 37-Hex

“Damn it!” I studied the wall, now dented and charred black around the dent’s edges. “I’m never going to get it!”

“Hex,” I looked up the stairs where Nick sat, bored look on his face as he was watching me, “you got mail!”

“I’ll get it later,” I mumbled and glanced at Nick, “could you at least help me?”

“With what?” he asked as a bell went off.

“Jesus Christ,” I mumbled and bounded up the stairs with Nick following. As we got the heavy metal door open, Charlie and Jimmy were already at the front door.

“Were you people that worked and/or helped the place called ‘Helping the World be Elemental?”

“Could’ve been. Why are you asking?” Charlie asked. I gritted my teeth and blew out the steam.

“We’re looking for five people,” the guy answered, “three guys and two girls.”

I rolled my eyes and went to the kitchen, grabbed my mail and headed up towards my room.

Hmm I talked to myself It’s from Rachel but why is it to me and not Nick?

I looked at the note then to the door way from my bed, “We need to talk.”

“About what, Charlie?” I asked, slipping the note in the back of my pants so Charlie wouldn’t know about it.

“This, Hex,” he said, holding out five photos. I got up and looked at them, “Who do you think these people look like, Hex?”

The photos where colored, detailed as if they weren’t photos but of the person through someone else’s eyes. The first one was a guy, dark brown hair and eyes. He wore that stupid HTWBE monkey suit.

The second photo was a girl who looked exactly like the first person, Rachel. I gritted my teeth and moved onto the third photo.

The guy stood there, his brown eyes filled with rage hidden under his black shabby hair. How old is this photo? I asked myself as I studied the photo of my best friend must’ve been five years old or so.

“Know who that is, Hex?” Charlie asked as I went to the fourth photo.

“I know who three of these people are, Charlie,” I said as I studied the fourth photo. It showed a girl, blue-green hair and soft black eyes. I put it in the back of the pile and looked at the fifth photo.

I felt like ripping the photo up, it was like I was looking at a mirror of myself from when I was sixteen. I gritted my teeth, roughly handed the photos back to Charlie and pulled my black hooded sweater out of my closet.

“What are you doing?” Charlie asked as I pushed past him and pulled my hooded sweater over my head. I kept the hood on and slid down the stairs.

“Hex?” I stopped, now a semi-good distance out of the house and yard, “Where are you going?”

“Somewhere, Nick,” I responded, looking out over the corner of my eye and listened to his breathing.

“You’re going to find Rach, aren’t you?” he asked, breathing heavily.

“You aren’t coming, Nick,” I answered, heading off again.

“I’m coming weather or not you approve of it!” he yelled, heading after me. I gritted my teeth.

“It’s dangerous, Nick!”

“I don’t care!” Nick said through gritted teeth. He was as stubborn as his brother, “And anyways, Rach is my friend as much as you’re a brother of mine!”

“Fine,” I mumbled then sighed, “just don’t slow me down, okay?”

“Promise,” he said. I got a glimpse of him, a smile on his face. I slipped my bloody, sore and red hands into my pockets and we headed off.