Elementalist

Chapter 43-Hex

I pushed the door open and wandered into the darkness; Nick slowly wandered in after me. He kept the door opened so sunlight could slowly creep into the hallway with us.

“Hex, look,” Nick pointed to a sign on the dusty wall. I studied it, and then studied the ground. There were footsteps, both sets leading to the sign then from there, one jetting off towards the left and the other one to the right. “Which way, Hex?”

“I’m going left, Nick,” I sighed and headed down the hallway. Nick pushed the door shut, which slammed, and then followed me. “Do you mind putting a few fireballs up, Nick? For light’s sake?”

“Oh, sure,” he sounded sarcastic, snapped his fingers and a fireball appeared above his hand. “Hex, can I ask you something?”

“If you be quiet about it, sure,” I responded, following the trail as best I could.

“Where’d Connor get all of his stubbornness from? Was it Charlie?”

“No, being stubborn runs in your family, Nick. Take you as an example, who was stupid enough, let alone stubborn, to follow me and put your life in danger. I would’ve let Connor go if I was any sort of friend…” I stopped.

“Well, Hex, I’m NOT Connor so who the hell gives a shit?” he clearly wasn’t paying attention because he fell over on me. I growled.

“You better have a good reason for not paying attention, Nicholas!” I yelled under my breath, “and put the fire out, now!”

“Why?”

“Someone’s coming!”

Nick grabbed the fireball in his left hand and it went out. He hissed, slightly, at the hushed whisper it gave as it died. I watched his outline look up and I held my breath.

“Come on, Dad,” a girl said, “the door is that way.”

Nick got up, “Rach? Is that really you?” He swung his hand out and his fireballs came up, it lit up the hallway pretty fast.

“Holy shit am I glad to see you! But this isn’t the greatest place to have our fates cross,” she sounded like Connor. I stopped up and Rachel took a step back.

“What?”