Elementalist

Chapter 48-Hex

Nick, that’s who made me fall out of the window, was looking down at me, and gradually getting smaller and smaller. I had the wind in my hair and I didn’t care for the loss, No one would miss me anyways. I closed my eyes and let my body become heavier with each passing second.

Jesus Christ, Hex, I have to save you, again? I opened my eyes, I wasn’t falling, but someone, something, was pulling me upwards. I caught a glimpse of the hair and shirt color and closed my eyes again. I was thrown onto the hard floor, which still had glass on it, and Rachel and Nick helped me up.

“You have problems letting yourself be killed, Hex,” Nick murmured. I looked at him, dropped my head and passed out.

Sheesh, Hex, that voice said again, you better toughen up, a lot, if you want to be as strong as me.

I opened my eyes and moved my stiff body, “How the hell did I get here?”

“Hey, don’t move.”

“Why, Rachel?” I asked and put my head back down, again, to look at Nick who was shirtless and wrapped up in cloth where his ribs were. I squinted and blinked.

“You broke a ton of ribs, that’s why, Hex,” Terry answered and studied Rachel who, very carefully, placed lit candles around the room.

“A ton, huh?” I laughed and she looked up to the door, along with Rachel, and I pushed myself up, no matter how painful it was.

“Well, look what we have here. We have Rachel, my brother’s youngest one, Nick, my other brother’s youngest son. Then we have Terry, who isn’t even related to me, blood wise, but does love my second oldest brother’s son, who, sadly, was murdered by his younger sister.”

I looked at Nick, who no longer had his mellow face on as he slept but had a pissed face look on. He opened his eyes and, painfully, lifted himself up with his elbows. “What do you mean, “My other brother’s youngest son”?”

“Hmm, lights,” the lights went on and we all squinted. The guy looked like me, except for the dark brown, nearly black, hair he had. I blinked and wondered of something, “I mean, Nicholas, that you’re my nephew. Frank and Andrew were my brothers.”

I looked away. I knew Charlie and Hay told me about how I looked like our father. I closed my eyes and fell back, softly. I felt the guy’s eyes following me, “Do you mind, jerk?”