One-Shot

Unnamed

I walked out one set of double doors after the last bell rung, signaling school was out for the day, I would usually stay after and hang out with my friends, but today was different, I was avoiding a boy. This was not just any boy, this was my best friend, and the only boy I've every truly been head over heels in love with. If it had been any other instance, I would run up to this boy after school, greet him with a hug, and then walk with him out to my car to give him a ride home. Unlike any other day, today I just didn't care how he got home, as long as it had nothing to do with me.

The warm breeze whipped my hair around and into my face as I hurried to my car, as I neared it I noticed a, fairly, tall figure leaning against it. As I got closer, I realized that the figure was actually the boy I was very carefully avoiding. He stood there with his signature heart-melting smirk plastered on his face. A third of me wanted to run up to him and jump on him and tell him that what Libby told him earlier was a huge understatement and that I love him much more than he could ever imagine. While another third of me wanted to run for the hills and hide, and the winning third decided to just ignore him and leave without him. I looked at the ground as i walked over to the drivers' side of my car, unlocking it manually, throwing my book-filled tote bag into the passenger's seat before getting in, shutting the door along with situating myself, and starting the car.

Alex tapped on the window and I did my best to ignore him, but my kind heart got the best of me and I hesitantly rolled down the window, doing my best not to look in his direction.

"Emily, what're you doing, I thought you were giving me a ride home, you know, like you do everyday," he spoke in an almost hurt sounding, tone. I caved and unlocked the doors, leaning over and pushing my books off the seat and onto the floor.

"Get in," I replied before rolling up the window. He got in and situated as I backed out of the parking space and drove off campus.

The entire ride to his house was silent, no music playing or anything. The silence was very uncomfortable, and something I'd never before experienced with him. Once we arrived at his house, I pulled up to the curb, something I never did. I could tell that he was annoyed with my actions, but what he did next surprised me quite a bit.

"Get out of the car," he stated coldly, opening his door. Confused, I mimicked his actions and got out. He walked over to my side of the car and stood in front of me.

"Yes?" I asked sounding annoyed.

"You sure as hell don't make this easy, but I definitely mean it, so here goes nothing," he started, "Emily, I love you."

Tears started to well up in my eyes, sure, this is exactly what I wanted, but there were certain things keeping me from indulging in this.

"Alex, please, don't," I told him willing myself not to cry.

"What're you talking about? Libby told me you like me," he replied confused.

"I do, I really do, but I just can't be with you," I clarified.

"Why not?" he asked noticeably frustrated.

"Alex, I'm scared. Have you ever met my parents?" I asked him.

"Yes, I see your mom every time I go home with you," he replied.

"That's not my mom, June is my guardian, she took me in when my actual parents decided they didn't want me. Alex, they didn't want me! After fifteen years, they decided they didn't want me anymore! Do you know how that feels Alex? After years and years of feeling as if you can always rely on these people, they up and decide they're through with you. That's why I can't be with you, because I never know if one day you'll do the same thing that did and just decide to be done with me, I can't handle that Alex, I'm not anywhere near strong enough," I told him, crying by the time I finished. He walked up to me and wiped my tears away with his thumbs while inching his face closer to my own.

"Let me be the one to prove all of that wrong, let me be the one that proves to you that you really can trust people, please," He replied in a begging way, before attaching his lips to my own. In that one kiss, as cliché as this sounds, that one, knee weakening kiss, I felt as though I could actually trust the boy and feel safe being with him as more than just a friend.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote this for my amazing friend Boobs a little while back and found it fitting to share it with all of you guys here :]