Pothead Poltergeists

Here’s To The Night

I get up and stretch my legs and my arms over my head. Then I wander down the steps. Maybe I will go for a walk. There’s no stopping me now and it’s not like I could get in trouble. No one can see me so no one is going to mug a ghost.

I slide through the front door as I have become accustomed to and skip down the stones of the Armstrong’s front steps. Now I see why ghosts always seem to be going through things. It’s not to look scary, it’s just easier and it doesn’t disturb the living people. If you had the option to open a door or be lazy and simply keep walking, you would do it too. It’s kind of fun once you get used to it.

I walk peacefully down the boulevard and as quietly as I can so as not to break the silence. The city is sleeping this time of night. It’s kind of strange to be out in a place that is usually filled with so much life, and now it is like the whole world has been drained. Las Vegas is still booming all day round I know, but there is not a thing to be heard out here and the only light comes from the street lamps in large puddles spotted equally along the street.

I guess the stars count too but not by much. But the stars are out tonight. They’re pretty, I’ll give them that. The moon is out too. It’s almost full but not quite, and it’s not all that bright right now.

I keep walking down the empty road; don’t know where it goes, but it’s only me out here and it’s nice. You should find a street and do this sometime. I used to like it late at night when I was walking down the street back home from babysitting at any one of the neighbors, but this so much better. I have no where to go and no agenda to meet. I would like it if someone would walk with me, but I’m fine right here right now. I’d ask you to come if you want. We can walk alone together. Ha!

Along the way, there were a few things that rustled. A black cat darted across the street. It looked like my kitty Daisy, but not quite so fat. And yes, the cat was clearly black. That’s good luck you know. I have lived with black cats all my life and I think they should be good luck. Animals can be so great when you need someone.

A man crossed on the other side of the street awhile back. He must have had a bunch of either keys or change on him because he jingled. He was sort of walking fast. I don’t blame him. Everyone can see him out in the open and it’s vulnerable. I’m lucky. I get to be an observer – or maybe I would call it a conscientious objector. Eventually, I make it back around the blocks and I’m tired. I think I will go to sleep now.

~~~

I wake up. It’s early in the morning, but the sun is already high up in the sky. It’s pretty. Still sort of pink around the edges. I can see it because I am lying in the gutter on top of the roof. I guess I went to sleep farther up on the roof and slid down a ways. That would usually scare the hell out of me, but two things: 1. I’m already almost dead and this is not my body. 2. Normally, I would not be sleeping on a roof in the first place. This sort of thing does not happen on a regular basis so I think I’m ok.

I remember I was looking at the stars for a minute. Very surreal and I remember it looks a lot like the night we were at the concert. It was an open stadium and you could look out over the bay and up at the millions of stars in the sky, and I’m repeating the same line in my head, “Here comes the rain again falling from the stars…” That was a beautiful moment. I’ll remember that one forever.

Then there was a part where my black cat Daisy jumped from the ground onto the roof next to me and Trudy followed her. “What a great jump” I had thought. I realized it was a dream about half way through. My cat would not be here and our other kitty Trudy, who’s all gray and fluffy, sadly died awhile back.

But in my dream, I think it was not the Daisy I have now. I think it was old Daisy. Daisy the first I got as a kitten. She died suddenly when I was in seventh grade of heart problems we didn’t know about (and couldn’t have done a thing about it if we did). She was almost six. But she was all black just like Daisy II who was already five years old when we adopted her the day after. Daisy I is my first baby. So in this dream I saw my Daisy and Trudy. It’s kind of nice to see them in dreams. It’s the only time I get to now. I still love them.

Here I am blabbering on again. You understand if you have ever had a close pet or perhaps in a person gone. I’ve had that too, but it’s more of a story. So anyway, the part where I was on the roof and staring up at the stars was real. That’s why I must have slid down into the gutter. That was fun though. I’ve never been on the roof of a house. I look down.

At least this is Billie’s house I’m on the roof of and not on the wrong one. I sound like I was delirious last night or something; or drunk. No, I wasn’t drunk. Hey, I wonder what would happen if I did go get drunk as a ghost.

Oh, I hear someone from inside. The window is open under me down the wall. It’s Adrienne’s voice and then one of the boy’s voices follows. I pretty much can tell who is who. I think it must have been Jake. He naturally sounds younger. It’s cute.

I reach around me and try to find a way down the roof, holding onto tiles and trying really hard not to slide down on my ass. Not that it would really do anything, but I’m not in the mood for a tumble – one like that anyway – and if Billie saw…well, he would just laugh his ass off at me. I really think he would.