Rumored Nights

All My Days Are Blending Into One Lonely Night

Four days.

It had been four days since Alice had seen William.

Four days since Caroline had moved out.

Four days of her anger lying dormant, waiting to unleash itself on Bill.

In the passing time Alice was too bewildered by the sudden drastic changes in her life to come to terms with them, so naturally she ignored it.

With the recent cold front here to stay, Alice and her friends bundled up as they left school for the day.

Walking between Skye and Jesse they all attempted to keepvthemselves warm, each thinking they had the better spot in the group.

"So Alice, what are you doing tonight?" Skye asked, Max's arm around her brushing Alice's shoulder.

"Nothing really, why?"

Skye grinned warmly. "Melanie knows this band that has a gig tonight and she got us free tickets. Come on, you can't say no to free tickets!"

Alice looked away with a shrug, quite a feat with the arms around her. "I don't know, I haven't been feeling very good."

And in truth she hadn't, spending most her nights wandering through the streets of her neighborhood at night.

Anything to avoid the things she was avoiding at home.

"Please Alice? It feels like we haven't hung out in forever!" Jesse pleaded, peer pressure becoming their greatest ally.

With the hopeful, albiet cold, expressions on their faces Alice found it hard to say no.

"Alright..."

And that was how Alice went from wondering how to while away the hours, to feeling them slip by in the dark club surrounded by groups of strangers, milling about and chatting idley.

Not all of them were strangers, though a small part of her wished they were as Alice's friends became those annoying people that planted themselves in front of the barrier, chatting excitedly about the band bordering stalker and obnoxious at the same time.

The lights dimmed on the crowd and with Melanie on one side of Alice and Liz on the other, they all grouped closer in anticipation.

Like the clash of thunder the amps rang out with the strum of guitar strings and the stage quickly became the center of attention.

Alice felt the thrill from it coursing through her bones, though someone else would've easily chalked that up to the bass guitar beating steadily a short distance from her.

It was a rare experience for her to feel the pulse of hundreds of other people sharing the same sights and sounds that she was.

She didn't want to think of it but her thoughts were never the kind she could control and the memory of her and William at her last show popped into her head uninvited.

But that felt like a lifetime ago, and from where she stood then, damp with her own sweat and the sweat of seven others, she wasn't letting him taint a moment like this for her.

Such a feeling of being on top of the world was an exhiliration, and was a feeling Alice had been without for far too long.

"Alice? Alice!"

"It looks likes she's stoned or something."

"You're one to talk Jesse. Earth to Alice?"

Her friend's voices after long enough broke her from her trance enough to realize the lights had reemerged from the darkness and people had begun to scatter.

"Show's over." Liz sang walking around Sisky.

"So I guess we're going?" Alice asked, feeling the night and her happy neutrality slipping.

Melanie grinned. "Not too far away. No, my friends wanted to hang out with us."

And right on cue four very sweaty guys came walking in like heroes coming back from war, their strut almost calling for slow motion and dramatic music.

Until they broke character upon recognizing her group and ran forwar,d drastically losing dignity and age.

"Melly Belly!" One of them exclaimed, quickly throwing the girl over their shoulder.

She giggled, spinning like a top with him. "Shane! You're gonna make me sick!"

He ignored her and they both went spinning away out of Alice's vision, someone else catching her eye.

"Hi, I haven't seen you around these guys before." He murmured in a thrillingly low voice, gesturing to her group of friends.

"I'm a recent addition." She replied, fidgeting with the zipper of her jacket.

Nodding he stuck out his hand. "I'm Mike, Melanie's friend."

Alice smiled and shook it. "I know, she was screaming it in my ear the whole time. I'm Alice."

"Alice." Mike murmured, as if he were trying to recall something from a long ago memory.

But he shrugged it off, returning to Alice's gaze with a grin.

"So how'd you like the show?" Mike asked, stuffing his hands into his pockets.

Alice shrugged, attempting to show true enthusiasm when she was reminded of her earlier feelings.

"The show was... one of the best experiences I've had in a long time." She replied honestly, feeling her heart lift with her smile.

Mike grinned, his eyes shining bright with self satisfaction.

Even if they had known what to say after that there wouldn't have been a chance with Melanie and her new steed interrupting them, followed by the rest of their friends.

"Hey you two, up for some after gig grub?" The guy carrying her asked, two more equally sweaty guys next to him with the rest of Alice's friends.

She glanced over, suddenly not wanting to be around a crowd of always loud people, their atmosphere different from the unknown faces of the show crowd, most of whom were still lingering.

Mike glanced over at Alice's, casually replying as if he didn't see her anxiously twisting fingers hidden behind her back.

"Uh, why don't you guys go without us?" He replied, looking over to Alice to make sure it was okay.

"Yeah, have fun without us, I'll call you later." She nodded, adding the last as she saw Skye's worried gaze.

Hugs were exchanged with both her friends and Mike's and they left soon afterward in a cloud of grins and cat calls.

The club seemed much quieter after they left, despite the numerous kids still mulling about, some which she recognized from her school.

Mike turned to her.

"So, do you want to talk about it?"

Alice looked away skeptically. "I don't know what you're talking about, everything is fine."

Under Mike's knowing gaze Alice floundered with a sigh.

"You don't know what you're asking. To explain involves a comfortable seat and some liquor." She shook her head, marvelling at the extent of her problems.

And yet, Mike stood his ground with his reply. "Well I've got an apartment, a six pack of beers in the fridge, and all the time you need."

Those were the words Alice needed to hear directly from the mouth of the right person.

For only knowing Alice for a good fifteen minutes, he had seen past the facade her friends hadn't and furthermore, cared to listen.

She could feel the doubts testing the barrier of her mind for a way in, but she had spent far too long pretending everything was fine.

"You know, aside from the show, that's the best thing I've heard all night."

Mike grinned. "Shall we?"

Alice took his outstretched arm with a faint but hopeful smile, walking toward the door by his side, leaving behind the chattering people and into the silence of the Friday night.
♠ ♠ ♠
So freaking out about credits and getting myself lost in a new story (ironically NOT about William Beckett) put this story in the backseat... until now.
I think adding Mike (Carden in case you didn't guess that) might've renewed my interests, a move even I didn't expect on until now.
I'm sorry to see so many of us don't have the birthday's we deserve, but then again thats why we have fan fiction.
But yeah, things you've missed: I bought tickets for me and my wifey to go to the Believers Never Die tour for our honeymoon, and I gave blood yesterday, resulting in me staying home sick today (and finishing this).
I saved three lives, what did YOU do this week?

P.S. If you've heard and like the band Coconut Records, we must talk, I need a good musical gush.