Rumored Nights

That Only Takes A Heart To Be Heard

On Friday's the streets of Alice's home turned into a small town, everyone knowing everyone even if not personally.

Alice became aware of this as Mike and her walked along them, passing more and more familiar faces, teenagers out to have fun.

They talked about school and life after it, anything in between to avoid the inevitable, Mike's arm around her the whole time to keep her warm.

He led her down to a part of town she had rarely visited, to an apartment complex that he must've called home.

"So he kisses me, and then walks off. Who the fuck does that?" Alice asked, the buzz of the cold beer in her hand reaching her mouth.

"Maybe he was just nervous. I mean, you've known each other since you were really little right?" Mike rationalize, being the voice of the male psyche missing from her mind for so long.

Alice rolled her eyes from the futon on the floor where she lay nursing her drink. "Well you're a guy. Tell me, if you did that, would you then call up some slut who gave you her number that afternoon?"

Mike's sharp inhale was enough of an answer to tell her what she already felt.

"This Bill is a total idiot."

Nodding Alice replied. "Yes, he really is... but I have to be honest I was stupid too. I went to a party not long after, saw him kissing her and got totally shitfaced. I did some things I wasn't too proud of..."

The curious eyebrow Mike raised only made Alice feel guiltier for her actions, events from the past she knew she was obligated to tell Mike as they began to seem like the stem of all her problems.

"I found this guy... and I just wanted to forget I'd ever met William." She explained in a low voice, unable to look anywhere other than her still fizzing drink. "One minute he was taking off my shirt, and the next, I was in my bed the next morning."

The eyes Alice finally met were unjudgemental and patient from where Mike sat across the room.

"I found out recently Bill had found me before anything really happened and took me home, and, that would've been heart warming and all except when I found out it was through my sister who was sworn to secrecy to not tell me because he thought it was best for me to be on my own." Alice explained, feeling frustration coursing alongside the alcohol.

"That he would have the balls to decide what I needed for my life, what was best for me as if he cared." Alice seethed. "All while he was with her."

She felt the tears prickling painfully at her eyes but pushed it aside in the wake of the words waiting to be said.

"Now my sister moved away, my brother hates me, my best friend has become something else... and I don't feel like myself anymore."

A rogue tear slipped down her cheek as Mike tucked a Kleenex in her hand.

"I'm sure your brother doesn't hate you. Disappointed maybe, but he still loves you, just give him time. Maybe you should go see him, it might make you feel... more like you, like you said."

Alice looked down at the tissue in her hand, smeared with tears and mascara.

"You know, I used to not wear make-up at all." She laughed pitifully, trying to fix her face.

Mike stopped her. "There's a bathroom over there, why don't you take it off? It might make you feel better."

With a thankful look Alice did just that, removing every bit of shadow and liner, letting her imperfections show through the concealer.

Her new friend was right though, as she saw her old self showing through the make-up.

Mike wanted to tell her how pretty she looked when she walked in without it on but decided they were the wrong words at a wrong time.

"Did it help?"

She nodded, smiling a small grateful smile as she let her hair fall down over her shoulders and face.

Mike watched her, casually voicing an assumption he felt was all too true.

"How long have you liked him?" He asked, moving to sit beside her. "William I mean."

Bewildered Alice glanced up, stuttering her denials. "What? No, he-, he's my brother's best friend, my best friend, sort of, I- no, why would I like him?"

Looking off at the apartment Mike shrugged. "For those very reasons I guess. He's your brother's best friend, so you'd have a kid crush on him. But as your best friend, it became something more didn't it?"

Frozen, red crawled up her cheeks, both for the obvious truth and the fear that it was so obvious everyone would know.

In her smallest voice Alice replied. "Yes."

Mike still looked off, as if he was thinking to himself and not embarrassing Alice more by seeing her blush. "I think that this William guy has done all these stupid things, and will continue with them, until he knows how you feel."

His simple advice made more sense the more Alice thought about it, and the more she did the bigger the nerves in her stomach grew.

"I'm not sure I can... yet."

Mike nodded. "I understand, I've got the same problem with a girl."

Alice looked up at him, her brow creasing in confusion. "Really?"

He nodded again, glancing away. "Yeah, but I'd rather not talk about it. We're talking about you remember?"

Grinning slightly Alice blushed. "Sorry about that... I feel a little self absorbed talking about myself so much."

"Sometimes you need to." Mike shrugged. "And I think you really needed to."

Alice laughed. "Oh thanks, I feel less messed up knowing that."

Mike grinned, glancing at his clock flashing twelve thirty-five in the darkness, their only light beside the moon above and street lights down below.

"It's late, I guess the guys are crashing somewhere else." He murmured to himself, turning to Alice. "What about you? You're welcome to stay here."

Alice immediately wanted to say no, already owing this guy so much, but the thought of going home made her stomach feel queasy.

"Can I?"

Mike nodded, getting up from the mattress. "Of course. I'll go grab the couch."

Turning, he cut off the protest Alice was prepared for that he had somehow sensed.

"It's fine, really. It's what friends do right?" Mike chuckled, more than one question in his statement.

Alice nodded as she laid down, exhaustion finally catching up with her. "You're a good friend Mike. I'm glad I let them drag me to your show tonight."

He smiled in the darkness, tucking the blanket around Alice as he pressed a kiss to her temple.

"I'm glad you were there too. Goodnight Alice."
♠ ♠ ♠
I think adding Mike to the story has renewed my interest in it.
Meanwhile life is good, the only downside is a rogue cat in my neighborhood out to get me.
Maybe you've seen the cartoons where the cats go out and sing and its awful and the people go crazy?
Yeah same scenario, I swear to God these two cats are singing, harmonizing, the past three nights around three in the morning, right outside my window, and I'm ready to kill.
But anyway, I'm about halfway through the next part and I know where I'm going with it, at least relatively, so perhaps the next one will be out roughly Monday.
I was thinking about it today and there might be about thirty or so chapters of this.
And please tell me what you think about where this is going, sometimes I'm just not sure.