Sammy.

Chapter Ten

“Ralph and I went out for about 6 months. We were the perfect couple. Well at least I thought we were. But apparently I wasn’t good enough for him so he had to go cheat on me. Once I found out, he broke up with me. I was willing to work things out. I thought he loved me.” Sammy said, tears starting to roll down her face.

Taking a deep breath she started her story again. “That night. A week and two days ago, I had finally gotten the courage to ask him why he had to go cheat on me and not just break up with me. I had my permit but my mom wasn’t awake at the late hour I was going to visit his house, and I don’t think she would approve with what I was doing. It was 2 in the morning and I’ve never seen a police officer from where I lived so I knew it would be save just to drive to his house alone. It was just a few miles away anyway.”

“It was pouring rain when I arrived at his house. I guess he recognized my moms car so he came out of the house and stood in the street. I got out of the car about to ask him why he had to do it. But I was so angry I said things I wish I hadn’t and we got in a huge fight. I jumped back in my car, about to turn it around. My car wasn’t in reverse when it should have been. I had hit Ralph with my car.”

“He was knocked out and I was scared. I took his cell phone out of his pocket and called 911 told them where the body was and ran away. I couldn’t face the police. I couldn’t live in my hometown either. The guilt was enormous so in just one week I planned my escape from this town. As far as anyone knew it was just because I still loved Ralph and now he’s so close to dying it was unbearable. Now Ralph is in a coma. The machines are living for him. Well they were up until 2 days ago…”

“What do you mean up until 2 days ago?” Maria said with more annoyance than worry.

“When Terri texted me it wasn’t about wanting to see me. It was about Ralph. Recovering at a very fast pace. Terri was the only once who knew what I had done to Ralph since we’re best friends. The only other person who knows is Ralph. And as soon as he recovers he should remember what I did to him. I’ll be screwed. We can’t let him awaken from the coma. But at the rate he’s going he could awaken any day now.” Sammy finished.

The room was quiet for a moment then Maria smiled looked at Sammy and said “Good.”