Sammy.

Chapter Seventeen

Sammy hung up her phone. She had just finished a conversation with Terri. Sammy was talking to her about what had just happened with John at the dinner table. Terri’s advice was to let John cool off and for Sammy talk to Maria to see why exactly she was staying when she wasn’t going out with John anymore.

Sammy walked into the master bedroom where Maria was staying. For some reason John had “wanted” to sleep on one of the pull out couches and it was his house so Sammy just agreed. “Oh hey Sammy!” Maria said with enthusiasm when Sammy walked into the room. She seemed to think that since they both loved the same man at one point and he just died they were automatically best friends.

Sammy giggled a fake giggle and said “Cut the crap Maria. What I want to know is why are you still here? You obviously have money, anyone could tell you that, I mean just look at the way you dress. Why are you staying here when you broke John’s heart. You kind of made it clear that you wanted nothing to do with him.”

“Well yeah. But then Ralphie died and you know, I was willing to give John a second chance. He just hasn’t gotten the nerve to ask me to marry him again yet. I know John pretty well and I think he’s going to pop the question soon.”

Sammy stood there for a second as if she were trying to think of the perfect thing to say. Finally she said “I guess you missed the memo. John and I are kind of a couple now, so there’s really no reason for you to still be here.” Maria walked up to Sammy and looked around the room to see if anyone was listening. In a sarcastic way though. Then she whispered into Sammy’s ear “It’s cute how you think you’ll last. But, honestly, he’ll be coming back to me pretty soon.”

Sammy’s phone started to vibrate in her pocket. Without looking at the caller I.D Sammy picked up the phone and said “Ugh, Terri not now I’m not in the mood..”
“Sammy?” the voice on the other end said.
“Dad?”