Sammy.

Chapter Nineteen

Taking a sip of her coffee Sammy kept her eyes on the road. Even though Sammy didn’t have her license yet, she was an excellent driver and probably wouldn’t be pulled over. Plus, she pulled off for 17. “Turn right and destination on the left.” John’s expensive GPS told Sammy. It was 8:00 in the morning. Sammy had left early so she could spend as much time with John on Sunday but still have some time with her parents.

She got out of John’s “spare” car to see her dad’s truck. She couldn’t believe he still had that old thing. Sammy walked to the apartment door about to ring the doorbell, but her mom beat her to it. She swung the door open and yelled “MY BABY!”

“Mom!” Sammy said in response with a huge smile on her face. She jumped into her mothers arms. Both of them were telling each other how much they missed one another. “Oh my gosh mom. It’s like we haven’t seen each other in years. It hasn’t even been a week!” Her mom chuckled. Sammy looked behind her mom, hoping her dad would be standing behind them. “Where’s daddy? His truck is here….” Sammy asked her mother who was almost crying of joy.

“Oh. His truck broke darling. He’s golfing with some buddies he didn’t know his baby girl was coming so early.” Sammy exhaled sharply. “Oh.” she then said. Sammy knew that when her mom said her dad was golfing with some friends it really mean he was drinking with some friends. Her dad has had a problem with alcohol ever since Sammy could remember.

“Don’t just stand there come on it!” Sammy’s mother said. Sammy walked in slowly and sadly. Maybe, she thought, she shouldn’t have come so early, so then her dad would be here, and as much as she loved her mom, she really wanted to see her dad again.

The house was really clean. Much cleaner than it usually was. Looks like her mother had cleaned before Sammy came. “You can stay in your old room of course. Just put your things up there!” Sammy’s mom said over eager. Sammy walked down the familiar hallway to the familiar door to see the familiar room. Exactly how she left it. Not a hair was out of place.

Her mother knew how much it annoyed Sammy when she touched her stuff. I guess Sammy’s mom respected her wishes after she had left and not touched a thing in Sammy’s room. This had made Sammy smile. Then she heard the front door slam and heard a drunken voice say “Honey I’m home!”