Such a Beautiful Lie to Believe In

They Heard Every Word

Macy quickly placed the bug back in the spot that Shadows had placed it.

“Well,” I sighed, “I guess I’ll see you guys tomorrow. Everything’s so busy lately!”

Alex and Kathy waved as I walked out the front door to find, very expectedly, Shadows in his black car right outside the entrance.

“Wow, any closer and they might mistake your car for a customer,” I said as I got in the car, rolling my eyes.

He shrugged as he pulled out of his parallel parking spot, “Can’t help it I gotta fucking babysit.”

“Maybe you should learn to do your dirty work on your own,” I suggested with a smile.

“You know you shouldn’t get so cocky. I could keep you locked up at home in an instant,” he said, glancing at me from the corner of his eye.

“Then we’ll all starve!” I gasped dramatically, “someone’s gotta pay the bills.”

I couldn’t help this feeling - this urge to rebel and defy him…to not fear him. I was about to get a chance to beat him at his own game, by giving the governor a head’s up, and he had no idea.

Although the rest of the ride home was relatively silent, I didn’t mind. I got out of the car quickly, before he had even turned off the engine. Smiling when walking into his house must be a bad thing. Jimmy and Zacky stared at me as if I had just done something wild and crazy…like released all the bears from the zoo to wreak havoc on the city.

“You just got out of the car with Shadows and you’re happy?” Jimmy asked, staring intensely at me.

Suddenly, I realized what this could all mean…what if they realize that something good happened at work…that I removed the bug for my shift? Heavy footsteps thudded behind me and Matt’s husky voice was heard in my ear. “Yeah, why are you so happy?”

I felt my throat constrict slightly…I was caught off guard and unable to think of something immediately. My delay of an answer didn’t exactly please anyone in the room. Matt gripped me by my shoulders and spun me around, slamming my back into the wall. Guess I better answer.

“Well, today at work I finally realized that the…world was round,” I mumbled, finishing with a sheepish smile.

Matt narrowed his eyes, “You’re dumber than I ever could’ve given you credit for.”

I shrugged, but mentally scoffed…since clearly he is the dumb one, believing that shitty ass excuse.

“Shadows, I’m disappointed,” Brian sighed as he entered the room.

Matt glared at him, “What the fuck are you talking about?”

Brian didn’t answer right away, but instead continued walking toward me, with a steady smirk on his face, his eyes falling into mine. “She’s holding something back. There’s more to what she’s saying.”

Matt glanced between me and Brian and had no trouble throwing me an evil look. “Bitch, you better explain what he’s talking about,” he growled.

Brian intervened, “Dude, we both know she won’t, so I’ll just explain it, since this all was my idea – what I’m about to tell you.”

And suddenly, like being hit head on by a semi-truck and feeling your body separate from itself, I realized what he was referring to.

Earlier That Morning:

“You know, Matt usually doesn’t give second chances very willingly,” Brian muttered, lying on his bed with his arm lazily resting over his eyes. It was 8 AM, and I needed to get ready for my glorious return to work.

I shrugged, “I don’t care. I’m a normal person…or at least I used to be. A job is the last of his concern.”

Brian snorted and the bed’s mattress springs creaked as he sat up. “After that shit you pulled last time, I’d say it should be a major concern.”

I finished getting dressed, practically grinning at the thought of outsmarting them with the spy gear. I glanced up at my reflection in the mirror when I realized that my small diamond nose stud was missing.

“That’s odd,” I mumbled.

“What?”

“Have you seen my nose stud?”

He got up out of bed and walked over to where I was standing. “Duh, it’s right where you left it,” he said, opening a drawer.

I sure didn’t remember putting it there…or even taking it out for that matter.


That’s because I didn’t take it out. He did…and he installed some sort of microchip that could pick up sounds. He heard everything I’ve said today…he knows I switched the other bugs with Macy, and worst of all…he knows that the governor is having a party this week.

Matt grinned and crossed his arms over his chest. “Isn’t that just the icing on the cake?! We’ll get to ambush the governor’s house before we carry out our official plan. Wow, Joie, I didn’t know you’d be helpful in more than one way.”

I was about to lunge at him, but Zacky (who pretty much came out of nowhere), held me back by my arms. Matt paced around the foyer in a circle.

“What are we gonna do?” Jimmy asked.

“Joie will go in as she would normally. However, we’re going to need her to sneak us in as well, say as assistant chefs or something. She will strip down to a sexy outfit and seduce our friend away from the party. In that time, we’ll plant cameras throughout the mansion and make sure we know every twist and turn in that damn house.”

A horrified expression crossed my face…and I couldn’t really see it, but Brian’s eyes flickered with a slight moment of jealousy. He wasn’t a big fan of the plan. Not that it really mattered. The look on Shadows’ face nearly scared me…he was too excited about this.

For giving them such a brilliant opportunity, I was “rewarded” with a scoop of ice cream and the remote to the TV in Brian’s room…only until he was done in the shower. Roughly, this gave me about 12 minutes to find his cell phone, call Kathy, and devour some ice cream.

Seems doable, right?

Usually, he keeps his phone either in one of the dresser drawers or in his pockets. After losing a couple minutes, I found it hidden in his pillow. He really needs to get simpler with his hiding spots. Without further hesitation I dialed her number and waited for her to answer.

“Joie,” she gasped, “how are you able to talk on the phone?”

“I don’t have much time. I’m on Brian’s cell phone right now…he doesn’t know. They found out about this party. They’re planning on having me sneak them inside so they could plant cameras and get used to the place before they make the final move.”

“Shit, why does everything get ruined before we have a chance to get ahead?” she groaned.

I thought for a minute. “No…we can still make this work. You and Alex need to come with me…find out more about them, maybe listen to their conversations.”

“Joie, what are you thinking?! We’re being followed, in case you forgot. Hell, Alex and I have to practically walk underground to escape those goons.”

“Exactly, that’s where the disguises come in.”

The water pressure stopped in the adjacent bathroom. “I gotta go,” I whispered hurriedly into the phone before scrambling off the bed and stuffing his phone back into the pillow.

As I pretended to watch TV, an uneasy feeling erupted inside of me. I didn’t feel comfortable putting Alex and Kathy in the middle of this without a concrete plan.

I stared at the lacey black excuse of clothing that was lying halfway in and out of a box. Matt was standing behind me, so close that I could practically feel his breath cascading down my spine. Today was the day of the party, and Matt wasn’t allowing space for failure.

“I’m not wearing that,” I stated, after we both stared at it in silence.

“Better put it on before you get a black and blue accessory,” he threatened dully.

He wanted me to wear this skimpy rag under my chef uniform, so I could give the governor some sort of strip tease. Quite honestly the plan was a joke. The governor will know something’s up the minute I try to make that kind of move on him. I’ll use that time to give him the lowdown.

After everyone was ‘properly’ dressed, we got into the car and headed toward the mansion. I sat in the passenger’s seat because the voice box near the front gate required certain voice confirmations. We got inside, parked and entered the mansion. It was even more elegant than I remembered.

The governor was a popular, wealthy, and caring person. Judging by his strength, he could probably take Matt on in a fistfight, but he would never make it against all five of them. He’s going to need a partner.

I’d be willing to join this out-numbered fight for him…even if it costs me my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
in the next chapter: someone gets in trouble, blood is shed on the dancefloor, and joie gets some alone time with mr. governor

5+ comments please, and once again i apologize for the wait. things have been crazy these past 3 wks. I'm hoping to update much sooner!