Inevitable.

Chapter One.

She wore the dress to the doctor’s because she needed the support. There were no tears, only stunned silence.

She wore the dress to the wedding, and stained it with happy tears. She was so glad to be there, to see her one and only marry his dream girl.

She wore the dress to the funeral and stained it with heartbreaking tears. The rosebuds were all too jolly for the setting and everyone thought she was mad.

The doctor gave her two years to live, but instead of living and doing all she wanted, she gave everything up. There was no use getting married if you were going to die. There was no use in getting a job if you were going to die.
There was no hope left in her world.

She lived in a one-bedroom apartment; at one time she dreamed of moving out, and moving on. She dreamed of a family, a white and beige house filled with brilliant smells and children’s laughter; now she only hoped to keep living a bit longer.

After finding out, she slipped the small but sparkling ring under his doorway; she didn’t have the heart, or strength to tell him. She watched him fall into a depression, knowing she was the one at fault. She watched him try to move on and try his hardest to recreate their friendship then she watched him truly move on, she watched him marry a beautiful red headed woman. She watched them have beautiful, giggly children; and she spent many nights in their brilliant smelling, laughter filled home.

She watched his life, and their children’s pass her by as she stood still in a state of such self-loathing she could barely muster up enough courage to be happy for him. After-all she had only done this for his own good, she had finally took someone else’s feelings into account, and she’d been doing it ever since.

After many more long years of the same, old routine she watched him slip into another deep depression, he started drinking. His beautiful, red head left him for a more successful man, he wasn’t enough anymore.

Neither was she, she still wore the same dress on Sundays; she still went to the same church. She still visited him in his one bedroom apartment full of empty take out boxes and silence.

She still loved him and even after they lost touch, she still went to his funeral, she still thought of him when she wore the light pink dress with the worn roses on it. She still thought of him when she looked at her empty ring finger, and, she still thought of him when they told her all the cancer was gone. Even when she was safe and she could finally be relieved, she still thought of him.

She thought of him long after that, but she thought of him less and less everyday. She learned how to move on; even though she was too old to fill her house with children’s laughter she still attempted to fill it with her own laughter daily.

Eventually he slipped away from her; he fell into a pile of things in the back of her mind, things you had to really concentrate on to dig them back up. Her ring finger was no longer empty or alone, her happiness grew and expanded until she could no longer stay in her same routine.

She changed a lot after the good news; she finally lived and did all she had ever dreamed of. She let him slip completely away, she didn’t worry about it and when the time came she was ready to leave. Dressed ceremonially in her pink rosebud dress she was buried quietly beside her past, and finally put to rest with her future
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Covered.In.Cake for the inspiration and Smashed Pumpkin for betaing.