The Fierce Goddess of the Caribbean

Marketplace

His name suited him well: Ignacio; fire. His temper had cost him his job at the house of his beloved. Where was he now? The son of a fisherman was the apprentice of a butcher. Who would have guessed? Well, the boy had no patience and became seasick by just stepping onto a bobbing boat. The old father would have been fine with this if Ignacio was not the only son he had. One son and two daughters he had. One had run off to the jungle of Peru with a no name fisherman and the other, Olga, lived as the mistress of some poor musician. She had bore him three children already.

This very morning Ignacio was with the three children. They were in the marketplace doing nothing but being a nuisance to the sellers who knew them well. One old woman who sold leather purses was their special target that day. She barely sold anything with her bad haggling skills and quiet voice. Olga’s middle child, a boy of seven, yelled over the commotion of the quality leather handbags.

Ignacio and Olga’s youngest, a girl of three, were walking hand in hand through the marketplace. She had wanted to go to the doll-maker again. Not being able to deny his niece anything, he agreed only on the condition that she wouldn’t beg for anything being sold. At the small stand there stood the Gustavo twins, Sisel and Soledad. Ignacio stopped before he was in sight of either of them. His niece pulled at his hand, begging to go forward.

As it turned out, the twins had finished breakfast and had asked permission to go into the marketplace. They had no real reason, as everyone in the house knew, but they wanted to go out on the town and feel the life rush through the streets. It was especially crowded that morning for some reason, and they were giddy.

“Vamonos!” the little girl wailed. “I want to see the dolls!”

“Be quiet, Melosa,” he managed to say.

They moved forward, but made a slight turn to go to the other side of the stand. Ignacio could see Sisel straight across from where he stood. He kept his eyes on his niece so as to seem he had not noticed the gem. Melosa made a fuss over the dolls. She made enough noise to make the shopkeeper and the Gustavo twins to notice her. Ignacio tried to quiet her down but it was too late. The shopkeeper was already on her way over. She looked down at the little girl with a smile.

“My, aren’t you just a sweet little thing. Would you like a doll?”

“I’m sorry,” Ignacio almost whispered. “We can’t afford a doll. My niece just wanted to come over to see them.”

“Oh, I’m sorry to hear that. I would help the little girl but these are bad times, you know,” the shopkeeper sighed.

Ignacio nodded and took Melosa’s hand. She began pulling towards the shopkeeper but Ignacio held her little hand tight.

“Wait,” an angelic voice came from the stand. “Which doll would you like little girl?”

Melosa turned and ran from Ignacio and to the Gustavo twins. Sisel had her arms stretched out to catch the little girl. She held her up above the stalls to see all the dolls. Malosa chose a doll that she believed looked like Sisel. The gem took the doll to the shopkeeper and paid for it straight from a small velvet purse. She put the little girl down and held her hand as she walked her to Ignacio.

“Thank you,” Ignacio kept his eyes down.

“She’s such a cute little girl. I couldn’t help but buy her a doll almost as cute as her,” Sisel handed Melosa back to Ignacio.

He felt a slight jolt between their hands. Even after the Gustavo twins had turned and left, he could still feel a small tingle in his hand. When they reached the leather handbag saleswoman, Ignacio was still in a daze.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally!
Sorry this took so long.
I'm having terrible writer's block with this story.
Have patience please!
Tell me what you think.