Skeletons

Two

I walked into my work, a small, independent record store situated just outside the mall called ‘Rockiit Records’ “Hey Karl,” I smiled, greeting my work mate.

“What’s up Louisa, you’re early,” He replied ringing through a few CD’s for a customer.

“Yeah, Zoë was only at day care this morning and my Mom finished work early today,” I explained my situation.
Unlike most 17 year old girls, my days didn’t consist of waking up, going to school and then going home. No.
My days had so much more structure than that.
It was; get up at the crack of dawn to wake up my three year old sister while my mom was getting dressed for work and making breakfast, she leaves for work and to drop Zoë off at day care, I go to school, pick her up from day care afterwards (with the exception of Fridays when my mom finishes work before I finish school), I drop Zoë off where my mom works and then I go to the record store. Needless to say it was draining.
“So where’s Wayne? I need to ask him a favor,” I asked.

“He’s out back showing the new guy where we keep the CD’s.”

“Okay, thanks,” I smiled before walking off. I slowly walked to the back of the store, letting my eyes dart around the store. It was filled with a tonne of old school punk and metal CD’s. To me, it this store was a Godsend and as for it being a small business, it was doing amazingly thanks to Orange County’s Hardcore and Punk scene. The back door swung open and I walked through to the locker room, shoving my school bag and jumper into my locker and grabbing my name tag, placing it around my neck. I clocked in and walked back out onto the shop floor. I saw my boss, Wayne, standing by the Rock ‘n’ Roll section, “Hey, Wayne,” I greeted.

“Hello Louisa, Karl told me you needed to ask me something,” he replied making sure all of the CD’s were in alphabetical order.

“Yeah, on Fridays is it alright if I start an hour earlier? I don’t have anything after school and I don’t mind doing it,” I need the extra money! my head screamed at me.

“If that’s what you want then it’s no problem, “he turned and smiled at me, “I need your help today actually, the new guy started and I need someone to show him the ropes while I do some delivery orders.”

“Sure, who is it?” I asked.

“He’ll be out in a minute he’s just getting me some Kiss CD’s, I’ve already shown him outback,” Wayne explained. I nodded my head in understandment, “Here he is now,” I turned my head to the back of the store, where I saw him again. I prayed that he wasn’t the new guy, but the plastic tag around his neck gave it away. My crush was my new work colleague.

“Hey, you’ve found them,” Wayne said as Brian handed him a handful of Kiss albums, “Brian, this is Louisa, she’s going to show you how things work out here,”

“I know Louisa, we go to school together,” He explained, “You okay?” he asked I nodded my head slightly while my eyes were subconsciously looking at the floor.

“Right, I’m sorting out delivery in my office, if you need anything Brian; just give me a shout,” Brian nodded his head and turned to me as Wayne was walking off.

“So, what you going to teach me?” Brian asked, my lip quivered slightly before I spoke up.

“Just the basics, I guess.”

“Okay,” I sighed, “The Rock ‘n’ Roll section’s here, Metal over there, Punk’s over there on the back wall and all the sub-genres are in each section too, the music DVD’s are on the far left of the store and band merchandise is through that arch there,” I indicated every part of the store to him trying to keep my cool. Brian nodded his head, “Any questions?” I asked.

“Well-“

“Good, I guess Karl can tell you what to do next,” I forced a smile and walked off to the Metal section; the place furthest away from Brian. I turned my head slyly and saw Brian standing there like he was completely lost. I felt like a total bitch but I didn’t have a clue about what to do or say to him. I stopped in my tracks and decided to walk over to him, my heart was pounding.

“Hey Br-“

“Louisa, could you go on the till, I need to go on my break?” Karl interrupted me.

“Erm, yeah. Sure,” I gave him a half hearted smile.

“Brian, if you could just make sure the CD’s are in the right order and everything, that would be great,” Karl told him.

“Alright,” Brian nodded nervously. I looked at him, the feeling of my lips curving just to give him that reassuring smile seemed so easy. But obviously it was easier said than done. I rolled my eyes and walked over to the tills instead.

What a warm welcome.

A few hours passed and it was almost time to lock up. Usually, working here didn’t seem like a total chore, I was around music and I loved it.
“Lou,” the sound of Wayne’s voice came from behind me, “Is it alright if you could stay an extra hour, just to help put out the extra CD’s we got in,” I bit my lip as I thought whether my mom would need me at home or not, “I’ll pay you, time and a half,” he grinned.

“Sure,” I smiled at the thought of the extra money.

“Thanks so much, Karl and I will be out back and Brian’s going to help you out here,” I mentally slapped myself. This was great. Just great.

As the few people in the store left, I made my way to the Punk section where Brian was standing, “Hey,” he said as he sorted through some albums.
“Hi,” I choked out.

“Oh, so you do talk,” He laughed sorting through the CD’s.

“Don’t be a smart-ass, I told you where everything was, didn’t I?” I snapped, totally meaning for it to come out the wrong way.

“I was kidding, sorry,” he sighed, “So you’re helping me I take it?”

“Yep, what’s going on?” I asked kneeling down next to a box.

“Well, Wayne said just to put these out, making sure they’re in the right order and everything,” Brian explained. I picked out a handful of CD’s and started placing them on the shelf, “Actually Louisa, I need to ask you something,” Brian sighed, my eyes widened making him continue and that’s when the most dreaded question came out of his mouth, “Why do you hate me?” My throat became dry and scratchy, I wanted to say why but it just wouldn’t come out.

“What makes you say that?” I asked instead, holding back my breath.

“Ever since Adrienne and I got together, you’ve been really distant and standoff-ish and earlier in English you couldn’t get away from me fast enough, same when you were supposed to be showing me around here,” he explained, I opened my mouth, I could feel the words pushing their way out of my mouth, I took a deep breath “-I know Adrienne’s your best friend and everything and you might be a little protective over her, I totally respect that, but trust me, I’m a really nice guy once you get to know me,” he gave me a smile that made me completely weak at the knees. Here was my chance, to prove to Brian that I’m not the heartless bitch he thinks I am.

“So how come you got a job here?” I asked with a hint of curiosity in my voice.

“Well, you’ve seen my guitar, right?” he laughed, “No, my dad said the only way I’ll get a new guitar is if I paid for it, so here I am, working my ass off to get a guitar that can stay in tune,” he said making me laugh, “How come you’re working here?”

“Just to get some extra money in my pocket, it’s like my mom says ’It’s only pocket money, it’s not like you have to pay the bills’,” I lied.

“That’s cool,” he shrugged, “I didn’t know Mr. Hart was your dad, he’s a really cool guy, oh and by the way, don’t tell anyone about our guitar lessons, it’s kind of secret,” Brian laughed.

“My lips are sealed,” I smiled.

This isn’t bad. Not at all.
♠ ♠ ♠
More comments would be nice :]

And thanks to the people who subscribed!