Tomato boy and his accomplices

Anna | Skinny Girl

She was almost dead
Lying there, barely skin and bone, yet she was so FAT. Even the layer of hair on her arms felt heavy and weighed her down. She knew she couldn't exist muck longer like this, she was already exhausted. She was sick of fighting with the nurses, every day, always the made her choke down some vile morsel of food. Even eating disgusted her, if it was so natural, why did it feel so mechanical? Bite, chew, work your jaw, up down, up down, and swallow and choke and gasp or breath..... And then sit there for an hour or two and wait for the mass to move through her. Or she'd just purge it. And by then it would be time to start over, repeat the cycle again and again, day in day out. Getting fatter always, but never fat enough for them.
The buy who had come in today- he wasn't much better than her. She didn't see many boys in the hospital and was interested until she saw why he was here - his hand, swollen, bruised and bloody. It was bandaged now, but the wrist was uncovered. For some reason they'd put three pins in. As she watched he woke up and saw them. She quickly closed her eyes as he glanced her way. When she thought he wasn't looking she opened them a crack and watched him yank at them, trying to dislodge them from his wrist. She frowned and was about to yell out to him to stop, he'd make it bleed when she saw it was too late anyway. The sight of the blood dripping down his arm made her feel sick, real sick and for the first time she could remember she purged without wanting to, the remain of her tiny lunch burning her throat as they came up and out to spread all over the floor as she turned away from the boy.
The nurse - Horse as the other patients called her when she was out of earshot - hurried in with a bucket and cloth to help her. By then it was a bit to late mind you, though she was still dry-retching.
"If you do his one more time, " Hissed Horse, "We'll hook you up again, you ungrateful little...."
She glanced up and caught sight of the boy who was still pulling the pins,
"WHAT do you think you're doing boy?" she yelled at him and strode over to inspect the damage he'd done. Anna fell back against the hard hospital pillow as Horse moved over to the boy. She sighed and closed her eyes so she didn't have to see the blood.

A few minutes later Horse left, muttering about youth and inconsiderate people. Anna kept her eyes closed and lay there, as still as she could. The ward was almost silent, except for the outside noises of the children from the playground and the nurses clattering past and the prideful crowing of the surgeons as the moved past on their way to collect another fat paycheck...She could hear something else to, something shuffling across the room....

"Hello?"
Anna shot upright, eyes wide, with a sharp intake of breath and then stared at the Boy who seemed as startled as her and twice as embarrassed. They both stared at each other for a few seconds, unsure of what to do or say.

"um...I'm Edgar....Hi...." He stumbled over his words and then trailed off as the suprised look faded from her face and was replaced by cold indifference.
"I'm Amy. You won't like me. Night."