‹ Prequel: A New Playing Field
Sequel: Crawling Back To You

Lucky I'm In Love With My Best Friend

Accusations & Overreactions

Image

Megan’s POV

It was 3:15 in the afternoon and I was stuck inside doing homework. I only had 45 more minutes of work until I was set free. It’s been a two days since Christmas and things have been typical. Sleeping, eating, running, hanging out with Nick. Same old, same old.

At 3:30, I went into the kitchen to grab a power snack for the last half hour. As I studied the contents of the pantry, my phone vibrated in my back pocket. Since I was technically on break from schoolwork, I decided it would be okay to answer it. The caller ID flashed Kevin.

Kevilicious definition make them girls go crazy,” I sang answering the phone. That’s how I have been greeting him lately on the phone, in person, in text messages, all the time. Every single time, he cracks up.

“That never gets old Nut-Meg seriously,” Kevin said in between laughs.

“I know, right? So what’s up, dude?”

“Not much, just hanging out in my room right now. I have a question though. Are you coming over later by any chance?”

“I’m not sure. I have homework until 4. I know Nick is doing homework until 5. We haven’t talked about later yet because we’ve both been busy.”

“Okay, well I need your help with Dina.”

“Dina! Ow Ow Kev! Let me guess. You want to plan something special, right Mr. Romantic?”

“You know me way too well.”

“I know I do. What do you have in mind?”

“That’s why I was wondering if you were coming over later, so you could help me discuss.”

“How about this? I’ll come to your house at 4:30. We can do some discussing and planning. Then I’ll surprise Nick and I’ll already be at your house when he’s free from homework!”

“Perfect. Now you get back to work, missy. I’ll see you in a bit.”

“Okay. Peace, Kevo!”

A half hour later, I found myself at the Jonas’ front door. I texted Kevin and told him I was at the door, avoiding the risk of the doorbell ruining the surprise aspect for Nick. Kevin greeted me with a hug and led me to his room. I tiptoed passed Nick’s room where he was doing his homework, careful not to make too much noise. Kevin shut the door of his room behind us and jumped onto his bed. I took a seat in his desk chair.

“So what are you thinking, you hopeless romantic, you?”

“I know we’re going to do dinner. Her favorite restaurant is Ti Amo, downtown. I’ve never been there but I saw a menu and it’s like authentic Italian food. It looks so good.”

“Well that’s an excellent start.”

“Yeah, but I don’t know what to do after!”

“Jacuzzi session?”

“I want to be out. I don’t want to be here.”

“Walk on the beach?”

“Too cliché.”

“Coffee shop?” Kevin leaned up on his bed on his elbows.

“No, too boring. Is this the best you can do, Meg?”

“I’m just warming up! Chill back, K2! Umm. Hmm. Oh! You know what I’ve always wanted to do?”

“Meet N Sync?” I started laughing hysterically. Yes, I love N Sync and I’m not ashamed to admit it.

“Absolutely, but besides that! I’ve always wanted to take one of those helicopter tours that takes you over Hollywood Boulevard. It looks really cool. I bet at nighttime, that is a really awesome sight.”

Kevin sat up and took the laptop off his nightstand. I couldn’t see what he was doing, but he was typing and clicking away. I assumed he was researching, so I found a piece of paper on his desk and started doodling.

“Megan Gibson, you are a pure genius! This is perfect!” I smiled with satisfaction as Kevin continued to make a reservation for the tour.

Nick’s POV

The clock struck 5 and I was so relieved to be free from schoolwork. As I walked to the bathroom, I heard voices in Kevin’s room. I knocked on the door. No one said anything, so I opened the door and stepped in. Kevin was sitting on his bed doing something on the computer and much to my surprise, Megan was sitting at his desk. She turned to look at the door and smiled when she saw me.

“Hey baby,” she said, standing up to walk towards me.

“Hey, what are you doing here?”

“Kevin needed my help so I figured I would just come over and then hang out with you when you’re done. So, surprise!” I pulled Megan into a hug. I love Megan surprises.

“I haven’t seen Joe yet. Knowing Joe, he’s probably in the kitchen. Be right back!” Megan said, running through the door. I sat down in the seat Megan was in and Kevin was explaining to me his date with Dina.

I heard vibrating on Kevin’s desk. I turned around and saw Megan’s phone signaling she had a new text message. I pushed a button with the intention to stop the vibrating, but I accidentally opened the message.

1 Received Text Message: Eric Benson
5:06 pm- Let me know if you’re doing anything later so I know when to call. I miss you like crazy and I love you, Megan Rose! :]

A huge rave of jealousy and anger came over me. Who is this Eric Benson guy and why is he telling my girlfriend that he loves her? Does Megan tell him she loves him too? Is Megan cheating on me? As I stared at the text message that could potentially ruin my relationship with Megan, she came running back into the room.

“Are you cheating on me?” I asked sternly, standing up out of the chair. Kevin looked up from his computer with a shocked expression written on his face.

“Excuse me?” Megan asked, as the smile completely left her face.

“You heard what I said.”

“What would ever give you that idea?”

“This text message.”

“You went through my phone?”

“So you’re guilty.”

“I never said that. I just can’t seem to get over the fact that you can’t trust me so you have to go snooping through my phone.”

“This is a new text message and I accidentally opened it. But I’m glad I did because now I know the truth.”

“What truth, Nick? I can’t believe you would even question my loyalty to you.”

“Yeah well a text message from a guy in your girlfriend’s phone saying that he misses her and wants to call her later is usually a hint. But when he says he loves her, that usually means she says she loves him, which is clearly cheating.”

“Give me my phone,” Megan said, grabbing her Blackberry from my hand. She grabbed her purse off Kevin’s bed and slung it around her shoulder.

“If I was cheating on you, do you really think I would be here waiting for you? Don’t you think I would be out with the other guy while you weren’t available? You’re jumping the gun and pointing a finger at me for something I am not doing. Something I wouldn't even think of doing to you. I can’t believe you don’t trust me. You have no idea how much this hurts. I can’t believe you are accusing me of cheating on you.”

“Eric Benson? That’s who you’re freaking out about?” Megan said, looking up from her Blackberry.

Megan looked at me with a facial expression of disgust and fury. Megan’s eyes were angrier than mine. She just stood there, looking at me, as I looked back at her.

“Eric Benson is my cousin. Congratulations Nick, you just made a fool of yourself. You should feel like an asshole right now.”

That was the last thing she said before she stormed out of the room, slamming Kevin’s door shut. I looked at Kevin and he shook his head at me.

“You just screwed up big time,” he said.

“Yeah, I got that, thanks.”

I sat back in the chair and rested my elbows on my knees. I buried my face in my heads with disgust and disappointment in myself. How could I accuse her like that? Why didn’t I give her a chance to explain? Of course her cousin loves her.

Megan’s right…I am such a jerk.
♠ ♠ ♠
oh goodness...

Comment&Subscribe
xoxo