‹ Prequel: A New Playing Field
Sequel: Crawling Back To You

Lucky I'm In Love With My Best Friend

Wakey, Wakey

Image

Nick’s POV

I couldn’t sleep at all last night. I last talked to Susan a couple hours ago. She said Megan was still unconscious and they were airlifting her in a helicopter from Houston to Los Angeles. Susan promised to call me when they got to the L.A. hospital.

My family was doing the best they could to comfort me. I appreciate their efforts, but I honestly won’t be okay until I know Megan is awake and fine. As we arrived to the venue in Des Moines, my phone vibrated. The caller ID flashed Susan and I answered it immediately.

“Hey Susan, how is she?”

“We just got her settled in at the hospital by home. She is still unconscious.”

“When will she be conscious again?”

“I don’t know, Nick. No one knows. The doctor said she is not in a coma, thankfully. She could wake up in a minute, in an hour, in a few hours. We just have to wait. But you will get a call every hour from me, Dave, or Colin and we’ll give you any information we know. I know how badly you want to be by her side right now.”

“Honestly, more than anything.”

“You know, you are one of the best things to ever happen to my daughter.”

“That means a lot to me, thank you. She’s one of the best things to happen to me, too. But I have to go do sound check. When I can’t have my phone on me, my mom will have it.”

“Okay, I’ll talk to you soon, hopefully with better news. Bye Nick.”

“Yeah, thank you. Bye Susan.” I hung up the phone and filled in my family on what was going on.

Kevin, Joe, and I did our sound check. I made a few mistakes here and there because my mind was all over the place. No one yelled at me, fearing that I’d mentally or emotionally snap, but everyone encouraged me to do a better job. I knew in my head that I couldn’t make these mistakes tonight. These people are paying good money and they deserve a flawless show.

At the halfway point of the set, I hadn’t messed up once. Joe was talking to the crowd as we were setting up for the next song. The crowd all of a sudden became significantly louder than they were before.

“Oh, hey Frankie!” Joe said. I turned around and saw Frankie waving at the crowd and running towards me. I half smiled, knowing the increase in cheering was our fans showing how much they love the Bonus Jonas. He stopped in front of me with a huge smile on his face. He handed me a piece of paper, gave me a hug, and ran off stage.

I unfolded the piece of paper. There was a note in Mom’s handwriting.

“Susan just called—Megan is awake! I figured you’d want to know now instead of after the set. Be happy! Love you!”

I closed my eyes and thanked God in my head, as a huge smile found its way to my face for the first time since before the accident. Joe and Kevin were looking at me with puzzled looks on their faces as I sat on my stool. Kevin was about to start playing the lead into Hello Beautiful when I spoke into the microphone, stopping him.

“So I’m in a pretty great mood right now!” The crowd screamed as I waited for them to settle down. “Megan is conscious!” Kevin and Joe let out huge sighs of relief as happiness overcame their faces. Joe leaned over and gave me a one armed hug.

“So this next song goes to my beautiful girl out in L.A.” Kevin and I began strumming our guitars, and I began to sing.

“Hello beautiful, how’s it going? I hear it’s wonderful in California. I’ve been missing you, it’s true.”

Megan's POV

I slowly opened my eyes. I was in an all white room with an annoying beeping machine next to me. Pain shot through my neck as I turned my head to see if anyone else was in the room. Colin was sitting in a chair reading a magazine. I tried to speak, but at first, I couldn’t. I kept trying and finally something came out.

“Colin.” Colin’s head shot up and he jumped out of his chair.

“Meg! Hey! Thank God! Be right back!” Colin ran out into the hallway. A minute later, Colin, Mom, and Dad came running into the room. I could see the stress being relieved from all of their faces.

“Hello Megan, I’m Dr. Wade,” a man at the door said. “I’m just gonna check some of your vitals to make sure everything is okay.” Dr. Wade began to take my blood pressure.

“Meg, do you remember what happened?” Dad asked.

“The last thing I remember is diving for the ball.”

“Well when you dove for the ball, the defender pushed you and you hit your head on the goal post. You’re in L.A. now. You were airlifted here,” Mom informed me.

“That explains why it feels like someone is hitting my head with a hammer.”

“Megan, you have a grade three concussion. You’ve been unconscious for almost twenty four hours. I am very surprised you have your memory right now. That’s a really good sign. How are you feeling?” Dr. Wade asked.

“My neck hurts. I’m a little dizzy, and I think I’m gonna throw up.”

“That’s normal for a concussion like yours,” Dr. Wade said, handing me a bucket. No more than two minutes later, I threw up. I absolutely hate throwing up. It makes me feel disgusting.

I threw up four more times within the next hour. I felt absolutely terrible and there was nothing that could make the pain go away. My mom was busy making phone calls, letting people know that I was awake and doing alright. She came back into the room after she was done.

“I just called Denise.” My heart skipped a beat. Nick. I had been so caught up in the physical pain I was enduring that I had forgotten the emotional pain of missing Nick. I felt horrible when Mom mentioned Denise. He's probably going crazy.

“Oh my gosh, Nick! How is he doing?”

“I’ve been in contact a lot with him over the past twenty four hours. He was very shaken up. He wanted to be by your side so badly, Megan.”

“I bet he did.”

“He's on stage right now, but Denise was going to send Frankie on stage with a note. Right now, I think you should try and get some rest.”

A few hours later, I was lying in my hospital bed in tears. The excruciating pain was keeping me from being able to sleep. The splitting headache I had was worse than any pain I have felt before. I guarantee that I will never complain of a headache again. Mom was holding my hand, rubbing it with her thumb, when her phone started to ring.

“Sweetie, Nick is calling. Do you want to answer it?” I nodded. She pressed send and handed me the phone.

“Baby,” I groaned.

“Oh my God, Megan! I’ve been worried sick about you!”

“I know, I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry. You have no idea how happy I am to hear your voice. How are you feeling, babe?”

“I feel like Jack Lawless is playing the entire Burning Up Tour on my head. I have a grade three concussion. I’m dizzy and nauseous. I was throwing up before. I feel gross.”

“I’m so sorry you feel so badly. Hey, I dedicated Hello Beautiful to you tonight. It was the first song we played after I found out you were awake, like some sort of sign or something.”

“Aw thank you. That’s so sweet. I miss you.”

“I miss you too, so much. I’m so sorry I’m not with you right now. I know I promised I’d always be there for you when things are bad. I’m sorry for breaking all the promises that I wasn’t around to keep.”

“I love when you quote your songs in conversation,” I said laughing.

“I know you do, That’s why I did it, silly. Alright, I'm really sorry, but I have to go do...I don't know. Some kind of appearance. Try and get some rest baby, okay? I’ll talk to you later. I love you so much. I’m so glad you’re okay.”

“Me too. I love you too. Bye.” I hung up the phone and shut my eyes.

Nick’s POV

The next show we have is in Dallas the day after tomorrow. I told Mom and Dad I need to go to L.A. and they understood. I have to be there for Megan, even if just for a few hours. Mom set up the private jet and an hour later, I was on my way.
♠ ♠ ♠
So there's chapter 2!

After one chapter, I already had 10 stars and 27 comments.
You guys are seriously the besttt! love you all.

Banner credit goes to Dina! love.all.around.
Go check out her story. She's pretty awesome!

Comment&Subscribe :]