‹ Prequel: A New Playing Field
Sequel: Crawling Back To You

Lucky I'm In Love With My Best Friend

Paul's Party

Megan’s POV

I’ll never forget the tone of Kevin’s voice when he called me after I got home from my Valentine’s date with Nick. It was the happiest I had heard Kevin in weeks, and it instantly made me smile. Kevin talked a mile a minute as he told me about Lexie Drake, the girl he met and the girl he was happily texting.

Over the past four days, from Valentine’s Day until now, Kevin and Lexie have hung out twice, one time alone and the other time with Nick, Joe, Pamela and me. Lexie immediately clicked with Pamela and me. I liked her and could see exactly why Kevin liked her too. Lexie explained to me her relationship with Tyler, the ex she told Kevin about. She and Kevin were in the same position, which is one of the reasons I think they bonded so well. They’re helping each other get over their exes, and just might fall for each other in the process.

It was now Friday, the day of Paul’s big birthday bash. Denise asked me to help her organize the party and set things up. Since I love organization and parties, I didn’t hesitate for a second to help out. Plus, after everything Paul and Denise have done for me, it felt like my duty to help.

Everyone was running around the Jonas house completing their assigned jobs. Denise was setting out the drinks, Kevin was cleaning the pool, Joe was putting tablecloths on the tables, Nick was setting up folding chairs around the tables, and Frankie was helping out with various decorations around the house. Paul was doing nothing, and that is exactly how it was supposed to be. I was running around, making sure everything was getting done and helping wherever I was needed.

“Hey Meg?” I heard Nick shout, after the sliding door opened.

“Kitchen, babe,” I yelled back. I went back to tying balloons around the weights that were to be placed on the tables. I heard his light footsteps approaching. Once they stopped, I looked up. His arms were folded across his chest as he leaned against the door frame, with a grin on his face. I copied his smile and went back to tying. Moments later, I felt his arms snake around my waist.

“You probably don’t know this, but you look incredibly hot when you concentrate,” Nick seductively whispered into my ear. My hands lost their grip on everything I was holding, causing a few thumps as the things hit the table. Goosebumps rose all over my body and Nick must have felt them. “I love when I do that to you, because I love when you do that to me,” he whispered again.

Nick spun me around and wasted no time attacking my lips with his own. His hands roamed around until they finally settled on the small of my back. I rested my hands on his upper arms, gripping his biceps that I love so much.

“Megan?” Joe’s decently close voice called out. Nick and I quickly separated, taking a step away from each other. I placed my arms across my chest as Nick rubbed the back of his neck. Joe walked in and instantly knew what was going on. “I just interrupted a really good moment, didn’t I?” Joe asked, with a mischievous smirk written across his face.

“Uh yeah, you did. Thanks, Joe,” Nick replied.

“Sorry, I just need some weights because the tablecloths are being annoying. It got really windy outside all of a sudden.”

“Windy? Weird. I have a few more to do but these are all done,” I pointed out.

“Awesome. Nick, grab some for me please?” Nick nodded in response to Joe’s request. Joe and Nick grabbed the finished weights. I laughed as Joe struggled to control the balloons. Nick stopped in front of me before heading for the door.

“Continue where we left off later? Please?” Nick’s lower lip extended out. He looked like a little puppy.

“Obviously my answer is yes. That little pout was not needed, but adorable.”

“Just wanted to make sure. I love you,” Nick said proudly.

“I love you too,” I told him, putting the same amount of pride into my voice.

An hour later, everything was set up and everything was perfect. However, the weather had taken an odd turn. The once white clouds suddenly turned grey and, like Joe reported, it became oddly windy. We spent the last half hour preparing the house, just in case all the guests were forced to stay inside.

Pamela was the first guest to arrive. Joe became giddy the moment she walked through the door. The next few guests to arrive were members of the Jonas family, most of them had flown from New Jersey and Texas to participate in the big celebration. My family was the next to arrive, saying hello to the Jonas’ they knew and meeting the Jonas’ they didn’t know.

Denise put me and Nick in charge of answering the door. In between arrivals, I subtly watched Kevin. He was keeping himself busy, probably anxious for Lexie’s entrance. I saw him chatting away with his aunt, who I met earlier when she arrived. When I felt Nick tug on my arm, I turned around to face him.

“I think I heard a knock on the door,” he announced. He laced his fingers with mine as we weaved our way through the crowd. I couldn’t tell if Nick was actually serious about someone being at the door, or if he just wanted to get me in a less crowded, quieter part of the house where we could have a few minutes alone. With our hands still attached, he opened the door. He wasn’t lying.

“Hey Lexie!”

“Hey Megan! Hey Nick!”

“You must be Madison,” Nick said, lowering himself to her eye level.

“You must be Nick,” Madison supposed. “And you’re Megan.”

“I am! How are you, Madison?”

“Good. Where’s Frankie?”

“Come on,” Nick said, extending his hand to her. “I’ll help you find him.” Madison took Nick’s hand. Placing a light kiss on my cheek, the two disappeared into the sea of people.

“Nick is so sweet. I’m so jealous,” Lexie retorted.

“Lex, there’s no need to be jealous. Sweetness runs in Jonas blood. Speaking of Jonas, let’s find Kevin for you! I think he has been patiently waiting for your arrival.”

“Megan, you talk to Kevin a lot, right? About this kind of stuff?”

“Yeah. Why, what’s up?”

“Does he like me, like that?”

“He’s in that phase where he’s starting to think about Dina less and you more. So if he doesn’t like you yet, it looks like he’s heading down that path.”

“Okay, that’s exactly how I feel. Thanks.” Lexie put her arm around my shoulders and pulled me towards her. “Hey, if things don’t work out between Kevin and me, let’s still be friends.”

“Absolutely! But we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. Let’s go find you that boy!” I stated. Laughing and linking arms, Lexie and I wandered off to find Kevin.

Kevin’s POV

“So how’s your girlfriend? Dina, is it?” my Aunt Macie asked.

I readjusted myself in my seat at one of the tables in the back. The other guests were mingling inside and outside of the house. Everyone looked like they were having a good time, but I was anxious for one particular appearance.

“Yeah, Dina. We broke up.”

“Oh Kevin! I’m sorry! How are you doing?”

“I’m improving. I was a wreck at first but, recently, I’ve been doing much better.”

“Let me guess, you met someone else.”

“I did. She should be here any minute, actually.”

“You invited her? To a huge family gathering? Kevin! That’s a big deal!”

Those four words made me stop and think. I invited Lexie to a party, at my house, for my dad, with my entire family. That’s more than a big deal. That’s a huge deal. Yet, it felt right.

“I guess it is kind of a big deal,” I said, feeling my cheeks warm.

“I want to meet her, Kevin.”

“Well make our rounds, don’t worry Aunt Macie.”

“I hope she’s not overwhelmed by our…out there, yet extremely loving family.”

“I hope not, too!” I laughed.

“Hi Kevin!” a bubbly, little voice came from behind me. As I turned around, Frankie and Madison ran by. Her one hand was waving wildly at me.

“Hey Madison!” I yelled back. A huge smile found its way to my face.

“Kevin, don’t tell me that’s her,” Aunt Macie scolded.

“Oh, stop it! That’s Madison, Lexie’s little sister. She and Frankie became instant friends.”

“So if Madison is here,” Aunt Macie started.

“Lexie is here,” I completed.

My eyes scanned the backyard, looking for that curly blonde hair and those vivid blue eyes. Nick, at the bottom of the deck steps, was waving at me like an idiot. When he realized I was returning the gaze, he pointed up towards the deck. My eyes wandered up, and that’s when I saw her. Standing with Megan, Lexie was laughing, and she looked more beautiful than ever wearing a yellow dress.

“Okay, by the look on your face, you obviously found her. Tell me where she is and what she’s wearing. I’ll look after you get up.”

“Yellow dress. She and Megan are standing at your five o’clock. I’ll bring her by in a little bit and you can meet her.”

“Sounds great. Go get her, kid,” Aunt Macie said as I stood up. I kissed her cheek before making my way to Nick. As I approached him, he turned his body towards the steps but was still looking over his shoulder at me.

“Let me guess, Aunt Macie wants to meet her,” he supposed.

“And she was telling me how big of a deal it was, me inviting her to a family party.”

“Yeah, well Kev, I could have told you that.”

Nick snickered as he jogged up the steps. I followed him more slowly as I carefully readjusted my tie, making sure it looked just right. When the girls saw Nick and me coming, their linked arms dropped. Megan threw her arms around Nick’s neck, thrusting themselves into their own little world and leaving Lexie and me to our own.

“Hey Lex.” I wrapped my arms around her in a warm hug. She did the same.

“Hey Kev, sorry we’re kind of late. We were ready until Madison spilled Pepsi all over her outfit.”

“Don’t worry about it at all. Kids will be kids,” I replied.

“This is a really big party,” Lexie noticed, looking around at the immense crowd of people.

“Yeah, I know. You’re not intimidated or anything, right?”

“Oh, no, I definitely am.”

“Please don’t be. That was not my intention at all.”

“As long as you don’t leave me, I’ll be fine.”

“And I don’t intend to,” I told her, grabbing her hand in my own. “However, I do have some people that want to meet you.”

“Oh, so you were telling people about me?”

“Why wouldn’t I?”

Lexie started blushing and a smile filled with accomplishment grew on my face. Megan leaned over to Lexie and whispered something in her ear. I concentrated really hard, hoping I could hear it.

“I told you, sweetness is in Jonas blood,” Megan said.

“Yes, it is,” I said, both girls looking at me with surprised looks on their faces.

“You little snoop!” Megan shouted. “Nick, I’m gonna go see if your mom needs help with anything. Care you join?” Nodding, Nick and Megan disappeared.

“Do you want to get some introductions out of the way?” I asked her.

“Yes, please. Who first?” Walking towards the steps, Lexie followed me, still connected by our hands.

“Definitely Aunt Macie,” I smiled.

After an hour, all the guests were forced inside due to the weather. It randomly started pouring, so everyone is currently confined to the walls of the house. It’s incredibly crowded and slightly uncomfortable, but there’s nothing to be done about it. Introductions with Lexie went just fine. Aunt Macie thinks she’s great and is really happy for me.

Dying for alone time, I took Lexie’s hand again and pulled her through the people. Leading her down the long hallway, I pulled her to a room where I knew no one would be. Although it’s a fairly large room, we decided to lock the door to prevent any damage. Taking the key out of my pocket, I placed it into the lock and opened the door for her.

“Wow,” was her first reaction. “I’ve never seen so many instruments in one room before,” was her second.

She began walking around the music room, looking at every instrument intently. I smiled as she took interest in one of the most important things in my life. I followed her around the room, telling her about each instrument. When we got to the grand piano, she stopped. She slowly lifted the cover and ran her fingers gently over the keys.

“This is beautiful,” she said.

“I know. I can’t play it, but Nick does. After his green guitar, this is his baby.”

“I can see why,” Lexie responded, taking a seat on the piano bench. I walked over to the corner and grabbed my favorite acoustic guitar before taking a seat next to her.

“This is my baby.”

As I reached into my pocket and pulled out a pick, Lexie giggled. “You never go anywhere without one of those, do you?”

“I always have one in my pocket and one in my wallet,” I confessed with a grin.

I began to play the opening chords to That’s Just The Way We Roll. I glanced over at Lexie, but she didn’t notice. She was too busy watching every move my fingers made with intensity, like she was amazed that they were making such a noise.

“I know that one,” Lexie told me.

“Oh yeah? Wow, I can’t believe I’ve never asked you if you listen to our music or not.”

“Well, I won’t lie to you. I hadn’t heard many of your songs when I met you. But, again I’m not gonna lie, I bought your two albums on iTunes when I got home.”

Laughing, I replied, “That is classic.”

“Why are you laughing?” Lexie exclaimed, as she lightly punched me on the shoulder.

“No reason. It’s just kind of funny, but it’s really cute too. Thanks for taking interest in my career. That’s really cool of you.”

“I think it’s awesome that you found something in life that you have so much passion for. You’re a remarkable musician.”

“Thanks, Lex. I’ve been told that a lot, but from you, it’s means that much more.”

Everything else in the room seemed unimportant. All the noise coming from the party faded away. It was just me and Lexie, no one and nothing else around. When our eyes connected, I began to slowly lean towards her. I saw her swallow before leaning towards me as well. The gap between us was getting smaller, and smaller, and smaller.

“Hey Kevin, are you in here?” Joe questioned, before flinging the partly ajar door fully open. “Oh shit. Oh God. I’m so sorry. Wow. This is awkward. I’m sorry,” Joe rambled.

“What do you want, Joe?”

“Well, um, dad is about to cut the cake and they want to uh, take a family picture. And, well, seeing that you’re part of the family, we um, kind of need you.” Thanks Joe, for making this already awkward situation even more awkward with your stupid um’s.

Standing up, I placed my guitar back on its stand. Lexie stood up and smoothed her dress. Grabbing her hand, I mouthed ‘sorry’ to her. She flashed me her perfect, white smile, and I knew everything was going to be okay.

We took the family picture and dad cut the cake. Guests began dispersing from the kitchen, cake-filled plates in their hands. Joe, Nick, and I were put on cake passing out duty as mom and dad cut from the two ends of the cake. It was a truly family effort. As I walked around, handing out plates, the doorbell rang.

“I’ll get it,” I called out. I walked as quickly as I could, not wanting to leave whoever was at the door out in the rain for too long. When I saw the door in sight, I glanced down at my watch. Better late than never, I guess.

I reached my hand out for the doorknob, my other hand still holding a plate with cake on it. I swung the door open and froze. My body went numb. The plate of cake fell on the floor. I didn’t look, I only knew because I heard it. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I was convinced my eyes were lying to me.

I heard footsteps and small voices approaching me from behind. Then there was a fit of giggly laughter. I knew exactly who was coming towards me, and if it was anyone else at the door, I would have been thrilled.

“There you are, Kev. I was looking for you,” Lexie said happily.

“Oh my God.” Megan’s voice followed, filled with the shock that I was feeling but could not express. “Dina?”

Dina stood on my front porch, absolutely drenched. Her clothes were sticking to her body. Her hair was frizzy and dripping with the little rain droplets falling heavily from the sky. The makeup was smeared all over her face. She looked like a wreck, yet she still looked as beautiful as she did the day she left me.

“What are you doing here, D?” Megan asked, concern replacing the shock.

“I—” Dina started. Her eyes locked with mine, and as soon as they did, that feeling came back into my gut—the feeling that only I experience with her. Not even the newfound feelings I’ve begun to experience with Lexie could really compare.

“I made a huge mistake. I left something amazing behind and I shouldn’t have. So I’m here because, I want it, no, I need it back. I need you in my life, Kevin.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so this is the end of Lucky I'm In Love With My Best Friend.
But there is a sequel to this! I'm not the cruel!

It's going to be called Crawling Back To You.
I'll let you know HERE when it's up!

Don't forget to comment! Let me know how you're feeling after the...event...that ended the chapter/story!

Thanks for reading, and I can't wait to see you all with Crawling Back To You!
xoxo!