Afraid of What You'll Find

In Rememberance.

5th September 1956

I watched Gerard pluck the petals from a flower in the afternoon sun.
“I love you, I love you not, I love you!” He said triumphantly, holding the petal up. I smiled at him. Just another day after school, nothing out of the ordinary. Suddenly, there was something dropping on me, like rain. I looked up and it went into my eyes and on my face and on my hands. It was blood. I looked down to see Gerard’s body on my lap, breathing heavily, blood running down his skin and matting his hair. He began to tug at his shirt restlessly. I opened his shirt to find the word ‘TRAITOR’ carved into his skin. I looked into Gerard’s eyes. They had a look of hate and disgust in them.
“How could you do this to me…” he whispered, his mouth dripping with blood…
A scream.
Darkness.
I woke up to find myself clutching my wife close.
“Are you okay, honey?” Asked Hailey, my wife. I stared at her, bewildered, before answering.
“Yeah, I’m okay. Just bad dreams,” I said. I hadn’t told her about Gerard and what happened that day. I also had two children called Matt and Pandora. Matt was only 8 years old but could play the guitar very well and Pandora was an excellent artist for her age, 9. I wish Gerard could have seen Pandora and Matt. Maybe he would give Pandora tips on drawing and would help Matt learn his chords, despite how bad Gerard was at the guitar. I almost laughed out loud when I remembered Gerard trying to play my guitar and sing the lyrics we made up at the same time. My heart gave a tug. That was when we were living at 49 Lipton Road. I could still remember those warm, summer days where we would have hot tea in the evening and always drive Mrs. Martonette up the walls with our crazy antics. I still saw Bob, Ray and Mikey daily. We were a jazz band who played frequently around the pubs and clubs of London. I earned a lot of money for my wife and children and loved them dearly, even though I missed Gerard every day of my life. I still lived at number 14 in Ashbury Wood like I always did. My Father died during the war and my Mother died of pneumonia while I was in the Army. I never got to tell her about Gerard. My kids loved it in Ashbury Wood and I would take them every Saturday to the lake next to our house to play cricket and football. However, tonight I couldn’t sleep as well as I usually did. I looked at the clock across the room. ‘5:15’ it read. I got out of bed with a sigh and began to pull on my clothes. I kissed my now sleeping wife goodbye and walked out of my house. I didn’t know where I was going but I just followed where my feet were leading me. I stood under the large oak tree where so many things that had started there changed my life. I watched the first rays of sunlight gently touch the ripples of the lake and listened to the birds start to sing the dawn chorus. I could feel warm tears trickle down my cheeks as the memories of long ago came back to me. I remembered the first day and the last day I saw Gerard, the first kiss and the last kiss, the best times and the worst times. As the sun rose up on a new day, I realised how much one thing, one love, could change your life forever.

The End.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you to the people who made this possible
And the people who read it.
=]
Now check out my OTHER STORIES.