Eight Simple Words.

Eight Simple Words.

Eight simple words. That was all it took to end what was one of the greatest punk rock bands.

They’d been going for over 16 years, and unlike Paris Hilton, they had earned every single bit of fame they had.
Everything had ended with the words nobody wanted to hear. It was the older man, the lead singer who fired the question at his fellow band mates. After a heated argument about the music and where the band was going, he’d walked out the studio and driven home, taking his anger out on his guitar in the basement. A few hours later, following his wife’s advice, he’d picked up the phone and dialled Mike’s number, with the question that would destroy people worldwide.

“Do you even want to do this anymore?” The distressed lead singer had asked, running a shaky hand through his tousled black hair.
The younger man on the other end of the line had fallen silent; his breathing was all that could be heard.

“You…you sure that if I say no, we’re making the right decision?” Mike had asked, breaking the silence that had settled.

“I’m sure…” The older mans voice was barley audible, a soft whisper dripping with sadness and emotion. “I’m sure Mike.” He’d repeated again, his word being final.

“So make the best of this test, but don’t ask why.
It’s not a question, but a lesson learnt in time.
It’s something unpredictable but in the end it’s right.
I hope you had the time of your life.”


They re-released Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life) later that week, along with a few of their older, and favourite songs.

Then, the world watched Green Day disappear, and this time it was for good.