Her Favourite Place Was Always The Beach

Her Favourite Place Was The Beach

Her favourite place was always the beach.

As a child she used to go and play in the sand and sludge with her younger sister in tow and her parents not far behind. Oh, the times that they shared there were always so happy regardless of what the weather would throw at them. The times they spent paddling around in rock pools searching for cockles and whelks and other tiny creatures; remembering the joy and excitement of finding one of the above and carrying their treasure in a bucket to show Mom and Dad. Her favourite place was always the beach.

Years later, she met her husband on the very same beach. That is to say, she didn’t know he was husband material at the time, but she did have a great feeling about him. She had the feeling that this was a man that she would most certainly like to spend the rest of her life with. She was so happy that she found him there in her favourite place. He was just sitting there looking out into the sea. She watched him quietly and wondered what he was thinking before she plucked up the courage to go and sit right next to him.

He didn’t look at her when she sat down but she did notice a smile spread across his silky face. He carried on staring out at the ocean. Further silence ensued until she could no longer resist the temptation to talk.

“Hello. I’m Lucy. I hope you don’t mind me coming to sit here with you?” She said

“Of course not, this is a free beach as much as it is a free world,” he said still staring, “and in any case, I knew you would find me in the end!”

“Excuse me?” she asked, “What on earth do you mean by that?”

“As if I have to point it out,” he replied, “I’ve been waiting for you all this time and I think you’ve been looking for me too!”

She started to feel a little wary of this gentleman talking to her as if he’d been waiting all his life. However, she kind of knew that, yes, she had been waiting for him too. He was the one.
“Have I?” She asked, knowing in advance what his answer would be.

“You know you have! I’ve always been here; it’s just that it’s taken you until now to finally find me. I’m so glad that you did.”

“I think I am too.” She replied.

He finally turned his head to face her and reached out his hand to hold hers. More silence ensued as did further staring. He liked staring, she could tell. He played softly with her hand in his, then let go. He raised his hand to her face and brushed his fingers lightly across her brow and down her cheek. He smiled again, lent forward and planted a soft kiss on her lips. He gently pulled her to his embrace and held her there as they listened to the waves lap against the little rock pools she had played in all those years ago. Then she felt the waves tickle her feet. She pulled away from his embrace.

“Maybe we should go now for the tide is coming in; shall we?” She asked sadly. She didn’t want to leave this place; she wanted to stay.

“We shall.” He replied and got up from his sitting position. He pulled her up to him. They stood for a moment just admiring each other. This was it, she thought to herself. As they turned to leave, she thought best to ask his name even though she had a vague idea what it was.

“Simon,” he said, even though she hadn’t got round to asking the question, “My name is Simon.”

And that, as they say, is history. She and Simon have been married for four years now and each year has been better than the last. They found out that Lucy is pregnant; something which they are both extremely excited about. They want to pass on the love and respect they have for each other to another little human being.

She found Simon out on the beach one morning staring out into the ocean. She questioned whether she should go and sit beside him or leave him be with his thoughts. She knew what the answer was.

“Hey, can I sit here beside you for a while?” She asked.

“Of course you can. This is a free beach as much as it is a free world; come and sit with me.”
She did and they both stared out into the ocean and listened as the waves lapped the shore and the rock pools that she’d played in all those years ago. She felt him loll his head on her shoulder.

“I’ve loved you forever, you know?” He half stated, half questioned.

“I know.”

Her favourite place was always the beach.
♠ ♠ ♠
This story is dedicated to the love of my life - my husband Simon. He'll never truly know how much I love him and how much he means to me. He's been there for me through thick and thin; for that I'll always be grateful.

This is also dedicated to my wonderful family - my sister, Ella; my Mom, Karen and my Dad, Lawrence. They seriously are the greatest people I've ever known and they also mean the world to me. I also cannot forget my Nan and Grandad who have always been there to patch things up if Mom and Dad weren't on our side (which wasn't very often). My Nan is now in a nursing home, suffering with dementure after a major stroke in April. She's really poorly, but now and again, I can still see my Nan in there somewhere. My Grandad, bless him (who also has dementure), just carries on.

My family and friends mean everything to me. I'm so lucky.

Hope you read, enjoy and comment if you feel the need to.