My Halloween Love

My Halloween Love

I remember the first time I saw him. At the tender age of five. He came to my house on Halloween dressed as a biker. His beautiful hazel eyes shined as he held out his candy bag and said the three magic words, “Trick Or Treat”.

-Flashback-
Halloween 1985
It was Halloween. My mommy and daddy were working tonight so they were unable to take me out trick or treating. So my big sister, Sierra, promised to take me out. This year, I was going as a princess.

“Come on, Sierra! I want to go trick or treating!” I whined to my sister. She wouldn’t get off the phone with her new boyfriend, Thomas.

“Alright! I’m coming! Give me a minute!” She said.

“You said that an hour ago! By the time you get off the phone, Halloween will be over!” I complained as the doorbell rang. I knew Sierra wasn’t going to answer it, so I volunteered to get it. When I opened the door, Matt Sanders stood there with his parents. He held his arms out to me. His candy bag was clutched in his hands as he held it open wide.

“Trick or treat!” Matt smiled. I couldn’t help but blush. Matt was the cutest boy in my whole class. I wanted so badly to marry him. Of course, he didn’t know that. No one in the class knew that.

“Hi, Matt.” I said. I grabbed the bowl of candy and gave him a handful of candy. “I like you costume.”

“Thanks. I’m a biker!” He said and puffed out his chest. I laughed.

“You’re funny.” I said. “I’m a princess this year.”

“Awesome. I bet you will get a lot of candy since you’re a princess.” He said.

“I haven’t gone trick or treating yet.” I said sadly.

“Why not?” Matt asked.

“My parents are working and my sister promised to take me trick or treating. But she’s still on the phone with her boyfriend.” I explained.

“Maybe you can come with me.” He said.

“Really?” I asked.

“Can she Mommy? Can Lauren come with us?” Matt questioned his parents.

“Only if it’s alright with her sister.” Mrs. Sanders said.

“I’ll go ask her right now!” I said and ran off to my sister’s room. “Sierra, is it alright if I go trick or treating with Matt and his parents?”

“Hold on a second, Thomas.” She said as she took the phone off her ear. “What do you want to do?”

“I want to go trick or treating with Matt and his parents.” I said.

“Who’s Matt?” She asked.

“Matt Sanders. He’s a boy from my class. Please! Can I please go trick or treating with him?” I begged.

“Fine, you can go trick or treating with him.” Sierra said.

“Yes! Thank you, Sierra!” I said and hugged my sister. I quickly ran out of her room and grabbed my candy bag. “Sierra said I can go with you.”

“Alright! Come on, we have a lot of houses to visit.” Matt said. I smiled and walked out of my house to join Matt and his family. Once I was outside, Matt took my hand in his and smiled.

The night seemed almost…magical. Yes, magical. Every few houses, Matt would pretend to be riding a motorcycle and made all the sound effects. I would join in on his game, pretending that I was riding my pet dragon. The night seemed to go by too fast. Before I knew it, we were back at my house.

“Thank you for letting me come trick or treating with you, Matt.” I said.

“You’re welcome. It was a lot of fun.” He smiled. His eyes still shined in the dark from the Halloween lights on my house just like they did earlier.

“Come on, Matt!” Mr. Sanders called as he and his wife stood at the end of my driveway, waiting for their son.

“I have to go now. I’ll see you tomorrow.” He said.

“Tomorrow. In Ms. Smith’s class.” I smiled.

“Bye, Lauren. I love you.” Matt said and left.

-End Of Flashback-
That was the first time Matt ever told me he loved me. However, it wasn’t the last. It wasn’t until we were in Middle School when Matt told me he loved me once again. Only this time, I told him that I loved him too.

“Mommy!” Little Alex called as he came down the stairs. Matt, his father, was right behind Alex and in his arms was our daughter, Hannah. “We’re ready to go trick or treating now!”

I smiled at our five year old son who resembled his father in every way. “Alright, then. Let’s get some candy.” I smiled. Hannah wiggled her way out of Matt’s arms and ran to the door just like Alex. Matt on the other hand came up to me and put his arm around my shoulders. Alex took Hannah’s hand and walked her out to the driveway.

“Who does that remind you of?” Matt asked.

“Us, when we were younger.” I smiled.

“I love you, Lauren.” He said.

“I love you too, Matt.”