Stories of Siv Spencer Theophane

Now you see me, now you won't.

Siv had to withdraw his new dependence to let Calhoun have his shower. Siv was no twit, he knew to get attached would be to doom his emotions and he would only end up losing his only guide to this world. If he asked Calhoun how many other men had willingly wanted to escape the labs and succeeded he was certain that he’d reply that there was none, which meant he was too fortunate to let him slip through his fingers. Overdependence was a dangerous thing that he was determined to stay away from, and if it meant keeping a certain amount of emotional distance from Calhoun then so be it. Siv heard a small pop come from inside the bathroom that presumably came from Calhoun putting his bare foot on the marble tiled floor, which meant he had only to get dry and get dressed before they would have to return downstairs. He wondered where the ‘demons’ were, but could also feel a sense of relief that he needn’t meet them yet. In Siv’s mind Calhoun was being much too slow in the bathroom, but he eventually came out forty minutes later.

“Do you think they have a baby?” Siv asked in a baffled voice.

“The kind that work as a doorbell by screaming every time there is someone at the door? No.” his volume was gradually decreasing.

“Calhoun, seeing isn’t helping, I need to know how to behave in this lifestyle” his face was riddled with embarassment but he maintained eye contact.

“You could start by talking in this century. Have you heard how those people downstairs talk?”

“Yes” he admitted, “but I wouldn’t know how”.

“Why are you asking me?”

Siv had to admit that he had a point. If he couldn’t handle a budget for a strong alarm then Calhoun could be capable of a lot less.

“Because your very nostalgic about your old life”

“Repeat that”

It appeared to be the breaking adjective, the hardness returned to his face and Siv could feel the warmth of his glare. It felt strange that he was solo again, for the past hour Calhoun had been by his side defending him, and the tables seemed to have turned again in such a short time. Calhoun’s face looked like someone had placed an onion under his nose, his face had tightened and his mouth appeared thinner. Siv had never felt so small under his alpha gaze. Siv hadn’t been aware he had said anything of significance but Calhoun didn’t seem to see it that way.

“You slide out of the cupboard with a man you loathe into a world that once meant something to you, and if you were willing to do that, there must be some feeling left”

Siv said slowly, he didn’t want to offend him again on top of the damage that he had already seemed to have done. It confused him greatly, he had no understanding of how words could hurt like they appeared to, and his newly found headache was far from vanishing. In fact, throbbing pain was dancing inside his head. This argument was interrupted by the sound of the front door’s scream of pain that told them a teenager was in the house. Siv heard Mr Emanuel call the boy into the living room and after that only murmurs could be heard. Calhoun sighed,

“I don’t know why I made this mistake, but there is no going back for either of us”

Siv nodded with more enthusiasm, he didn’t care if he never saw the inside of that building again. Suddenly there was a low rumble heard from downstairs, but as it got louder Siv realized somebody was coming up the stairs. A young man with short chestnut coloured hair marched up the stairs and had barely reached the top before he greeted them both.

“Hey”

Remembering his previous conversation with Calhoun, he made a decision on a whim to imitate the boy’s speech.

“Hey” he said.

“What are your names?” the boy replied, and Siv suspected that the question had grown from his father’s curiosity rather than his own, but Siv answered anyway.

“Siv Theophane”

“Calhoun Prescott”

“How long you staying for?”

“I don’t know”

“Where are you from?”

Siv could feel Calhoun’s irritation because he felt it too. The boy asked a lot of questions, and Siv had almost replied ‘I don’t know’ to the latest question, but Calhoun had done nothing more than rephrase it.

“We couldn’t tell you if we wanted to”

The boy laughed, this was going to be a long night.