Stories of Siv Spencer Theophane

Ignorance is for cowards

Siv’s curiosity got the better of him, but he had only to make a small tweak in opening the cupboard before an alarm had sprung into action, although Siv had anticipated this and reached into his shallow pocket, pulling out a small cylinder glass tube containing a water of sorts. He wasn’t arrogant enough to think for a moment that he could use physical strength to destroy an alarm, but water was satisfactory. With the hands of a scientist he loosened the cork that kept the liquid inside and used his right hand to shower the wetting detector until it flickered and gurgled. But the alarm didn’t stop, the noise jumped and silenced, jumped and silenced, and Siv had to dispose of it the only other way he knew how. His fingers curled into his palm before his hand clenched tight, his fingernails making dents in his skin. Like a flexible spring, Siv pulled back his arm and released his fury, jagged pieces of the alarm fell to the floor of the cupboard, but the base was still there, blinking in surrender silently. Siv often supported the proof that fought for inner strength rather than violence, but the minority of the building that were still lurking in the corridor by now had the possibility of exploring the source of the noise. This meant Siv had to satisfy his knowledge quickly, he would limit himself to a thorough look at the contents of this cupboard and never set foot toward it again. It was too risky, if he was found looking in restricted areas his food supply would become non-existent. Being free was still a priority, but hope had failed him before, he had no reason to believe it wouldn’t do so again.

Many things were scientifically proven within the organization, but it meant nothing. The contact with the outside world was minor. To men like him, it would seem like no contact at all, but their food had to come from somewhere. Siv’s hands searched over the wooden surface of the cupboard ground, and then worked up the walls. The cupboard was bare, so why was an alarm required? These were the questions that someone had to ask the chiefdom of this building, but it was difficult to tell the difference between those who behaved like they had more power than the rest of them, and those that did. Before Siv could protest he felt a skeletal hand on his shoulder pulling him backwards with such force that Siv almost lost balance. “Yes sirree I was right about you, curious as a dog” an old familiar voice croaked. If the voice hadn’t of reminded Siv who the man was then the mix-up of slang would have told him that this was the same elderly man that called him ‘barking bananas’ for wanting to escape, and this was before Siv ironically found almost a dozen men looking for the same thing.

Seventeen must be having a breakdown, he thought to himself. He hadn’t seen him leave his room since he had been placed there in the first place. He had walked away from the revolting scene of so many hopeful men to find the scrap paper that was Siv’s contract. He had only the signature of one parent, and in his eyes that said all he needed to know about his stem. The men were all the same, there was nothing unique about them, but some were older and some were awaiting further growth, he was just like them and so was Seventeen. The building was his paradise, though as generations transformed fewer began to feel that way, and the way things were now had him perplexed. They wanted to escape, well let them. The real world would headhunt them, and nobody was to know this more than he. The painting still hung in his chamber, all the way down to the small word in deep black ink written on the corner; ‘Ciao’. The women hadn't had the courtesy to say goodbye in person, and this among with his own arrogance made him believe women were cowards. He had only had to step out of his chambers to hear footsteps with his subtle ears, approaching the cupboard to notice Seventeen again. This boy was a clever one. He would’ve made a shrewd member of the organization, had he not of been so curious, and he suspected that the boy fears most to be confined. Then again, he had not seen the boy walking the corridors before..

He trod carefully near Seventeen, but almost lost his balance when the alarm sounded. The material that put the alarm together was clearly flawed if it could break so easily, he thought to himself as he watched Seventeen destroy it and search the wardrobe. He was following the trail almost perfectly, and this was when he had to take a fun dip into his world before he found the leak that would take him outside. He was a tall man for his age, so Siv appeared almost underneath him when he grabbed his shoulder and made his presence known, though while attempting to keep it hidden that the cupboard was anything but communal. It was only out in the open corridor because it eased the suspicion. After all, students always enjoy looking through the teacher’s cupboards, but are less concerned with the compartments belonging to other pupils. It was brilliant, except for those like Seventeen that were too concerned for their own good. He knew he had to appear as if the cupboard had no significance;

“Do you have a reason for being in the store cupboard?”