The Broken Promise

The Broken Promise

I never meant for it to happen. I was gonna turn up. I just got caught, she wouldn’t let me go. And now I’ve lost my friend. My best friend.
Ii was just a game we played. I never took it seriously but he did. He took it way too seriously. Always had to win. He wouldn’t jump out of the way until I did. No matter how dangerous it got. He would win.
Then we got reported and we had to tone it down a bit. We would’ve stoppedbut the thrill was so addictive. It was like forcing yourself to watch something you know will terrify you. And we loved it.
We still wanted that thrill but the grown ups were aware of our game. They were watching us 24/7 and we didn’t know what to do. Of course he was the one to figure it out. And he had an idea.
We arranged to meet outside school at 5 to 12. We were allowed one torch but once we got there and got settled down we had to turn it off. We were allowed nothing else. We just had to dress warm. Our destination? The ‘haunted’ graveyard.
I’ve never believed in ghosts, so I thought this should be easy. We did our usual stuff that evening and just before I set off home he made me promise to come. I promised but he told me I had to come. He needed me to come. Couldn’t do it on his own he said. I promised once again and left.
That night I snuck downstairs. I tried my hardest to be silent and made no noise at all. I even managed to avoid the creaky floorboard. I turned into the kitchen and there she was. She looked up and my mind went into overdrive thinking of what I could say. “I, errr, wanted a drink”
“With a torch?”
And that was it. She had me. I tried to explain but she wouldn’t listen. Just ranted about how I wasn’t to try sneak out again or go anywhere near that blasted boy!
I dont know what happened to him that night. But something happened. The next day I tried to explain and apologise but he wasn’t having any of it. He just wouldnt listen. A year on and he still wont listen. Wont even look at me. I have no idea what happened that night. But I’ll find out tonight.