A Modern Myth

Chapter 7

I stretched my sore arms as far as they would go, reminding myself to buy at least three more pillows before I got back on the bus. It was warmer than it had been in northern California, but it was by no means comfortable. Within minutes, everyone else was shivering. The special fabric of my suit managed to keep me relatively warm, but I still felt the chill.

“I’ll be back later,” I said nonchalantly, hauling a light bag onto my shoulder to make it look like I was going shopping or something. Hopefully, they wouldn’t ask questions.

“Where are you going?” Gerard asked, unable to keep bitterness completely out of his tone.

“I just need some time alone,” I muttered. I turned and walked away from them, heading towards the street. Once I was far enough away, I retreated into the woods, stuffed my street clothes into the bag, then bent low to the ground and began to run. It didn’t take long to figure out where I was going.

I ran deep into the forest, the trees getting denser as I approached my destination. The sky was darkening as well; it seemed the foul weather had followed us south. I kept my eyes locked on the sea of green before me, carving a path out of the mass of trees, but I constantly listened for any sound that might mean an enemy was nearby. So far, I had only picked up the faint chirps of birds and the scuffling of small animals.

Once I found the cave I was looking for, I slowed to a walk, carefully searching for the secret entrance hidden nearby. It took me at least five minutes to find it. I crawled through the small opening and began the short hike into the mountain that served as the home for the finest ninja in the world.

I caught him in the middle of a training session. He had chosen to practice knife throwing; I knew his technique needed no improvement, but he was always trying to sharpen his skills. I considered waiting until he was finished so I wouldn’t surprise him and wind up with a five-inch blade sticking out of my chest, but he probably already knew I was there.

All at once, he was standing in front of me, three thin knives fanned out between the fingers of one hand.

“Good to see you again, Robert.”

I couldn’t help but smile. He was the only one who used my full name besides my parents. I bowed to show respect.

“Missed you too, Shinoda.”

“What brings you here?” he asked, hiding the knives. He began to walk down a nearby corridor, motioning for me to follow.

“I need your help,” I answered with a quiet sigh, placing my feet in his footsteps just like I had done ever since I was a young child. He turned into a small room lit by a few lamps, kneeling on one side of a low table set with pieces of extremely old china. I sat across from him, folding my legs beneath me. He poured steaming tea into two cups and offered me one. I slowly sipped it, grateful for something to ward off the cold fog surrounding me.

“It must be serious for you to come to me,” he remarked.

I nodded. “Jared Leto is after Gerard.”

His face remained motionless and calm. “Leto…hm,” he muttered, swirling the tea around a little before drinking it.

“He is on a mission from the Order, so there is nothing I can do to stop him,” I continued grimly. “But I can’t just let him kill one of my best friends.”

“The Order has become less selective as of late.” He poured more tea for himself, drinking it slowly. I didn’t usually care for tea, but disrespecting my teacher was one of the last things I wanted to do. “I have not tried to find a reason for it. It is often better not to question them.”

“But you’re the former Superior,” I said. “Isn’t there some way you could convince them they’re wrong? Gerard’s harmless.”

Shinoda nodded once in agreement. “I miss the days when they only killed out of necessity and stood behind the things they claim to be protecting. But now it seems their priorities are no longer in order. However, that is the least of your worries.”

I frowned. “What are you talking about?”

“Leto is not a normal ninja,” he explained. “He is one of a special breed known as the Shadows. They have allied themselves with darkness, and it grants them different abilities than you or I would otherwise be capable of learning.”

Worry began to build up in my mind. “Like what?”

“He is stronger and faster, and he can likely recover quickly from serious injury.”

I couldn’t help it and cursed to myself. He raised an eyebrow, and I muttered an apology. “I got into a fight with him on the top of our bus and kicked him off,” I explained. “First I thought he was dead, then I just hoped he would get the hint and back off.”

“You had better be more careful when you meet up with him in the future,” he warned, finishing up the last of the tea. I realized I had barely touched mine and hastily swallowed the remainder of it, ignoring the burning path it left down my throat.

“What should I do?” I asked. I had never felt so helpless before. No matter what decision I made, someone would end up dead. It was just a question of who and how many.

“I would suggest trying to protect him as best you can without putting yourself in danger,” he said with a long sigh. “Understand, if you get in trouble from trying to stop Leto from fulfilling his task, I will not be able to aid you, despite my former status in the Order.”

“I’m well aware of that.” I waited for him to stand before doing the same.

“It will be dark soon. I suggest you return to your friends.”

I nodded, bowing quickly before turning around and making my way back to the hidden entrance. It took several minutes for me to climb back down the mountain and get back out into the forest. I ran as fast as I could back to our bus, but it felt like I was making no progress. Panic had begun to cloud my judgment, and a few times I found myself running in circles around the same tree. I willed myself to calm down and think more clearly. The more time I spent wandering through the woods, the more likely it was that something would happen to them in my absence. If what Shinoda said held true – if Leto really was capable of incredible power and inhumanity – then Gerard was no longer the only one in danger. I was capable of rendering five men lifeless with a few sword strokes; I couldn’t even imagine what Leto might try.

As the sun sank below the ridge of blue-hued mountains, my pulse quickened, drawing every last drop of speed from my worn body. My eyes rapidly adjusted to the growing darkness, and I caught sight of several larger predators emerging from their hiding places to begin hunting, much like I knew Leto was preparing to do.

After ages of climbing over roots and dodging small animals, I arrived at the place where the forest came to an abrupt halt to give way to civilization. I realized I had left my bag nested in a tree somewhere and swore. A million thoughts crashed through my mind at once. If I showed up like this, dressed in solid black and gasping for air, I would have no choice but to explain myself. Going back for the bag would nearly double the length of my trip, making it even more likely that Leto would try something. I would have sighed if possible. Lately it seemed that every decision I made was a matter of life or death.

I didn’t take the time to slow to a walk and approach cautiously. I didn’t have to; as soon as I was ten feet away, Mikey burst through the door of the bus, eyes wide with fear.

“What happened?” I asked, inhaling lungfuls of chilled air.

“It’s Gerard.”