Sequel: Fighting Ourselves.
Status: Completed.

Like Walking Into a Dream

“But… You guys were like siblings! What happened?”

I watched in awe as Adeline stood up for this guy she barely knew. I had to admit she was right, the boys should stop acting like they own the school and everything… And most of all, they should stop bullying people that aren’t like them…

“Adeline!” shouted Brian as she walked away with Jay. She didn’t even turn back, she kept walking. I shook my head, knowing perfectly that she was beyond pissed off and that it was a miracle she had just yelled at them and not beat the shit out of them or anything of that kind. Johnny caught up with us after leaving Kate with her friends.

“What was all the shouting about and why did Adeline just walk away with Jay?” he asked, looking at each of the guys before he looked at me. I sighed and started explaining the situation to Johnny.

“And she’s been acting kinda weird all day…” added Brian as he got in Matt’s car along with me and Johnny while Jimmy and Zacky went in Jimmy’s. We were telling Johnny everything because since he was her best friend’s, we were hoping he could explain to us what was wrong.

“So, do you know the reason why she seems so distant, and down?” asked Brian. I saw Johnny biting his lip.

“Is there something you aren’t telling us?” asked Matt, his gaze fixed on the road. Johnny sighed and looked at us,

“Me and Adeline kinda got into a fight yesterday, and I said some nasty things and we kind of don’t talk to each others anymore…” he whispered. I guess he was regretting their fight, because his eyes were filled with sorrow.

“But… You guys were like siblings! What happened?” asked Brian, clearly taken aback by the news.

“I’d rather not talk about it!” whispered Johnny. We didn’t ask any other questions. I looked out of the window and sighed.

**

I was sitting at Starbucks with Jay, we were sitting in front of each others, both looking at our drinks. It was Jay who broke the silence:

“Adeline, thanks for standing up for me…” he said, looking up from his coffee. I looked up and smiled.

“It’s nothing… Those guys are jerks!” I said before taking a sip of my chocolate. He smiled:

“You are dating one of them…” he said, after he took a sip of his coffee.

“Oh yeah…” I mumbled, “Thank you for keeping my mistake in mind!” I muttered.

“Your mistake?” he asked in disbelief. I bit my lip, I shouldn’t have said that. I shouldn’t be here! I should be with Johnny, telling him about everything that had happened… But he was part of this mess, and he’s with Kate now. I couldn’t talk to him, nor Brian or any of the guys and certainly not Ellie because she didn’t know about me and Johnny… I sighed.

“What I’m going to tell you must stay between us, right?” I asked, as I rested my elbows on the table and put my head in my hands.

“Sure!” he said, as leant closer, but not to close.

“Well, around 3 months ago, I made stupid drunken bet with Matt and Zacky and they were recording it…” I started. Jay and I talked for what seems like hours! I told him about my dilemma with Brian and Johnny and he told me about his bullying at school and how hard it was for him to keep his head up. It felt good to have a new opinion, and Jay was a great listener. After talking about our respective lives we find ourselves talking about music and other subjects. We both decided that it was time to head back to our respective houses. I hugged him and we both went our separate ways.

As I was walking back home, I looked at my watch and saw that it was already 7pm. I should have hurried back home but no, I kept my pace. I was smiling when I reached the house, talking with Jay made me understand a lot of stuff. I kicked off my shoes, dropped my bag in the hall and made my way to the kitchen. I grabbed a can of Coke and walked up to the attic, where everyone was. I opened the door, Jimmy and Zacky were laying on their stomach, watching TV, Ellie was reading a book while Matt, Brian and Johnny were trying to teach Kate how to play poker. I sat down next to Ellie, she looked up at me, I simply smiled at her and she smiled back.

“T’étais où?” she asked me, the usage of French made the others looked up. We ignored them.

“With Jay, he’s a cool guy despise what people may think. Never judge a book by its cover!” I said, taking a sip of my Coke. I saw Brian looking at me, ready to say something.

“Before you’re going to apologize for nothing, no I don’t hate you, I was just angry but I still think you guys are jerks.” I said as I got up and went to sat next to Brian, resting my head on his shoulder. He smiled warmly at me and kissed my forehead before going back to explain the rules.