A Wonderful Trip

Chapter 3

They walked in silence for a bit before Charles cleared his throat.
“So you know Robbie?” he asked, he sounded a little nervous.
“I know Danny, we’re in the same grade” Alice replied looking over at him. He definitely shared the families good looks. He was tall, dark haired, green eyes. He was handsome anyone could see that, but Alice didn’t care how attractive he was. Right now he was a stranger and she wasn’t about to let good looks catch her off guard.
“Oh nice, Danny and I grew up together. I’m a senior as well” he was clearly trying to make casual conversation. It was getting uncomfortable walking in silence. A chill blew through the trees shaking some dead leaves loose onto the cold forrest floor. Alice shivered a bit and pulled her jacket tighter around herself.
“Are you cold? You can have my jacket” Charles said going to take off his coat. Alice put her hand up and shook her head.
“I’m fine thanks” she said. She wan’t trying to be cold or short, she just knew better. She grew up in the party scene, she knew how boys were. She’d heard one too many horror stories and she’d experienced horrors of her own. College parties with alcohol and sober walks through the woods were no different, when you are alone with boys you have to be smart. You have to keep your guard up. You have to be ready.
“I’m sorry I know this isn’t the best way to meet, I promise I’m a good guy” he said playfully. He smiled at Alice and gave a small laugh. She looked at him and tried to study his face. She wanted to know for sure that he was a “good guy.”
“That’s what they all say” she said flatly and took her eyes from him. She could see where she needed to cut from the path onto the road that led to her house. She looked at her feet and glanced over at him, only using her peripherals to get a look. He looked over at her and she turned her head away looking at the other side of the path as if she saw something in the trees.
“Well it was nice meeting you” Alice said as she started in the direction of her street.
“Wait” he said following her towards the road. Alice turned to him standing up straighter. She wanted to appear intimidating because that’s the only way she knew how to maneuver social situations.
“Are you going to the halloween party tonight?” Charles asked. He pulled on the strap of his backpack and shifted his weight from side to side.
“I am” she said relaxing a bit. He was really cute, Alice thought. He smiled a faint smile and took out his phone.
“I’ll pick you up if you want” he said extending his phone to her, number pad open ready for her to enter her number. She hesitated a little before taking the phone. She put in her number and handed back the phone. He saluted her and they split up going in the directions of their respective houses.

Alice smiled to herself as she walked home. She was excited to have someone interested in her that seemed nice and was her own age. She’d hoped to meet someone in high school but thought all the boys were stupid and spent to much time at college parties to think boys wanted anything more from her than sex. She was starting to realize how fucked up the world was and how she’d been way too young for what she’d experienced. She’d wished her friends had been more caring and less concerned with image. She was excited to go to college and leave all of high school behind her. She did like her friends and she enjoyed the memories they’d made together but she also knew these weren’t lasting relationships. These were times to look back on and laugh and stories to tell her new friends while they had successful careers. She didn’t want to end up like her friends. She wanted to look back on her mistakes, not live them.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment:subscribe

anyone else get hella jipped from the comment swap function or just me?