Turn The Other Way

Argument.

“That’s good,” Matt replied with a smile. “That Eli guy is weird. You went on dates with him?”

I laughed. “Well, he asks, and I say yes.” I shrugged.

“Laura says this is a good day, that you have good news?” Michelle asked.

“Yeah. But first, is the ‘surprise’ ruined?” I asked.

Michelle and Matt laughed. “Sort of. Laura said if you start to stir, to come over and tell her.”

I smiled mischievously. “Let’s let them surprise me.”

“Okay,” Matt laughed. “Stay here a bit after we leave.” I nodded and they left. I stood up and decided to brush my hair out to pull it up. I saw my stomach in the mirror, the red blood seeping through the shirt.

“Damnit,” I muttered, taking off my shirt. I grabbed some clean gauze and changed the bandage. I guess I did rip the stitches out a little. I pulled a big black shirt over my head and changed my sweatpants. I slipped on a pair of sandals and washed of my face. I was purposely taking my time. Laura’s been planning this for some time and I didn’t want to discourage her efforts.

After drying my face, I made it to the front door slowly. I paused before opening it. I needed an excuse. Music blared next door, Laura’s side and I knew why. She was trying to completely wake me up now and get me to come over there and question her why. …Why the hell would she do that if a toddler is over there?!

I quickly opened my door and walked over to her place, slamming open her door. I stopped, noticing the streamers decorating the place. The screen door shut behind me as I stared at all the familiar faces. Matt and Michelle sent me a smirk as the screen door shut behind me. The music stopped abruptly and I held back a smile.

“Surprise!” Laura exclaimed.

My grin took up my face and I hugged the closest person to me – Mom.

“Mommy!” I exclaimed, hugging her as tightly as I could.

“Hello there, baby girl,” she replied. We pulled away and she kissed my forehead motherly.

“I missed you!” I said.

“I missed you too, darling.” I smiled at her and then went to the next person, Brent.

“Hey, big brother I haven’t seen for many years!” I told him.

“Hey little sister,” he said. We hugged. Onto the next person.

I gave hugs to everyone, telling them I missed them as such back. McKenna grew so much in her young form. She’s turning into a beauty. I gave Jimmy a kiss on the cheek, who pretended to faint. I hugged my brothers and father tightly. Then it came to Matt. We hugged once again the second time for the day – without Laura knowing – and he did something that surprised me. He kissed me on the cheek. And you know what I did? I blushed.

Yeah. I shock myself sometimes too.

“So?” Laura asked, smiling slyly. I shook my head, giggling and jumped at her, well, not really, but it was a form of it. I hugged her and repeated ‘thank you,’ over and over. “You’re welcome,” she said.

“So what’s this good news?” Matt asked. I turned to him as he held the SpongeBob clad Emma in his arms. She giggled as he tried to play patty cake with her.

I turned to Laura, and she nodded. “Okay!” I said. “Everyone in the living room and sit down!”

Dear God! I felt like a sheep farmer, herding all those people into the living room… how the hell did they even fit upstairs?

All the people in count found their way in and most – but not all – sat on the floor.

“Well?” Brian asked. “Out with it!”

I playfully glared at him. “Do you wanna know or not?” I asked, keeping a grin in.

“Well…” I shrugged. “Suits you.” I turned and started walking toward the door.

“Ow! Mom!” Brian yelped.

“Lyyyynnn!” Zacky whined. I smirked and turned around.

“Yes?” I asked.

“Tell us!”

I laughed. “Okay, but with that attitude, your play date for Emma is coming up soon.”

“Aww… Zacky has a date with a 16 monther!” Gena cooed. I laughed, holing my stomach.

“Go on,” Val urged. “What’s the good news?”

“I know what it is!” Eli piped up. Sometimes I just want to kill that guy.

Matt rolled his eyes, I caught that. “You’ve got yourself a keeper,” she said sarcastically.

“Really?” Eli asked, turning to him. “You really think so?”

Matt chortled, Emma pulling on his shirt. “Oh yeah.”

“Awesome,” Eli said with a snort.

I glared at Matt.

“Tell us!” Michelle said enthusiastically.

“Well, I had an appointment with the doctor earlier today, Laura went with me. IT turns out I’m cancer free, and disease free,” I said with a smile. “I’m one hundred percent healthy.”

The room erupted in smiles; each person either saying ‘Congratulations,’ or ‘Awesome,’ or in short shit’s case, ‘HERALDO!’

After him yelling that all was silent, even Emma, who looked at Johnny oddly.

“What the fudge nugget, dude?” Jimmy asked.

“You know…” Johnny started embarrassed. “Heraldo kinda sounds like hurrah…”

“No…” Zacky said. “Never again.”

“Never in a thousand years,” Dad added.

“What the fudge nugget?” MB asked Jimmy.

Jimmy ‘whispered’ to him, “She’ll kill us if we use the profanities.”

MB’s body, along with several others, racked with laughter. I did as well, knowing it was true, but didn’t laugh as hard. I didn’t want to rip those stitches out.

“How long are you guys staying?” I asked.

Matt’s face dropped, evident he didn’t want to answer this question, or even think of it.

“Only for today, sweetie,” mom said, placing her hand on my leg.

Turns out I didn’t want to know either. I was going to stay in butt fuck Ohio while everyone else goes to Cali, or in the band’s case, on tour. Damn it all. I managed a smile and nodded.

“Why don’t you come to Huntington for Christmas?” Val asked. I nodded, giving a smile.

“Sounds good.”

“Can I come?” Eli asked eagerly.

“Sorry, just family,” I said quickly. Eli sent me a look.

“Aren’t I practically family? I mean, we are basically dating,” he said.

I raise one eyebrow, the other pushed down. “Uh… no, we’re not.”

“Oooh…. Burn,” Jimmy hisses under his breath.

Eli’s face mocks my reaction. There was a verbal argument about to come down, and my whole family was going to witness it. \

“What are you talking about, Lynn? I’ve taken you out on dates, bought you shit, talked to you, if that’s not basically dating, I don’t know what is!”

“Eli!” I screamed. “You never asked me out, first of all, and just because you take me on ‘dates,’ doesn’t mean we’re ‘basically dating,’” I air quoted.

“It doesn’t need to be said! All I need to do is listen to you whine and complain about Matt!”

I narrow my eyes. “I’ve never talked to you about Matt; he has nothing to do with this.” I warn in a low and deep voice.

“Honey,” Mom starts, but I quiet her with a hand.

“What, you’d rather be dating him instead of me?”

“Yes, Eli. Yes I would. I would date him over you any day. He actually knows when to leave me the fuck alone instead of randomly showing up around my apartment complex.” I see Matt’s eyes go wide. “He knows me so much better than you ever will. He’s been with me through more.”

Eli scoffs. “Of course he does! He’s your ex-husband for Christ’s sake! And unless you forgot, he wasn’t ready for kids. But you know what?! I love kids!” He picked up Emma, but I quickly grabbed her away, afraid he’d do something rash. Mom took her away from me. Letting me back into the argument.

“Laura, take her to Laura’s,” I heard Mom mumble.

“Oh wait, you can’t have any, isn’t that what you’ve said to Mattie over there?” I glower at him.

“Have you been stalking me?” I asked incredulously.

“Sucks to be a dried up prude, huh?” he asked, ignoring my question. I gawk at his boldness. Matt, Brian, jimmy, Johnny, Zacky and Brent all stand up. I raise my hand, stopping them. I wanted to see what he had to say. “Do you realize how long I’ve been trying to get in your pants? I thought you liked the immature one, looking at Matt now,” he said. Matt lunges for him, but MB and JB stop him just in time.

“Shut the hell up, Eli. You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Maybe I do. Maybe now that you are cancer free, you’ll fuck me! I see how you look at Emma, you want a kid do badly it eats at you.” I slapped Eli and made a bee line up to my safe haven. The bathroom.
♠ ♠ ♠
And your reply would be....?