Touche

All Around Me

“I can see that…” Nick was staring after Jaden looking concerned, “And, why does she have a sword?”
“Um…” Jared pondered it for a moment, and then looked at Mimi, “might as well tell ‘em, seeing as we’ll be living next to ‘em for a while.”

Mimi gazed, traumatized, back at her father, “If you do it is at your own risk.”

“Not all the details, just the general picture,” Mimi shrugged.

Jared turned back to the boys, who had been watching the exchange with growing curiosity, “Ok. Now you will not repeat anything I say to anyone except your immediate family, understood?” they nodded, “About 19…ish months ago, Jaden got really hurt doing something that she lived for. She was physically incapable of doing what she loved until about a month ago. And in that time she became… involved with some bad people. She hasn’t done anything truly awful, yet, but she has done some… less-than-desirable things. The people she knows will defend her forever, and, likewise, she will defend anyone of them. Once she became a part of their family they taught her to defend herself and then provided her with the tools she needs, to defend herself.”

“… What happened to make her that hurt?” Kevin asked after a moment.

Mimi’s eyes widened, “Oh no, you must know that! Daddy, don’t tell them that--”

“Oh, I don’t see why not?” Jaden’s voice caused the group to freeze, horror struck, and turn to the house. Jaden was leaning against the door frame, her expression a mixture of pain, sorrow and resentment, “You may as well tell them. They are going to wonder and, as always, now that they know that I’m dangerous, they’re going to want a taste of the danger.” She clutched the saber she was holding and pushed off from the frame, striding away toward town, “Go on Father. You and Mimi may tell them anything that you know that they ask. I’ll be back around midnight… maybe later, try to have convinced them to stay away from me by then.” She waved cheerfully, at her father and sister, then strapped the blade to her back and began to jog down the street.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is tied for the most terrifying day of my life!
Tied with what?
Every other freaking day of my life!!!