A Route to Follow

Chapter 10

-Bob’s P.O.V.-

With a sigh, Amy hopped off the counter and stretched, allowing various joints pop off the stiffness. “Ugh, I need fresh air,” she stated quietly, straightening her top. It was barely loud enough to hear over the babble of the group, and I probably wouldn’t have caught it if I hadn’t been sitting right beside her.

“I’m going for a walk,” she announced over the group.

They nodded with no further enthusiasm and went back to the conversation they were all so involved in. Something about cartoons and comic books; I hadn’t really been listening.
I followed Amy to the door. “Do you mind if I join you?” I asked - almost timidly – and she shook her head with a smug grin.

“Finally see the beauty of nature, Bob?” she teased and I was quite relieved that I was tying my shoes at the very moment, so she couldn’t see the faint blush that had come to adorn my cheeks. I let out a strangled ‘yeah’ instead.

It was colder than the day before and we were both wearing thick coats, scarves and gloves.
Halfway through the garden she stopped and pulled her long, black hair into a messy bun on the back of her head.

We kept a brief conversation, just getting to know each other a bit more until we reached the bench.

Again, we sat in silence, just sitting close to each other, staring out across the meadow. Then the snow came.

It was the most beautiful snowfall I could remember and it wasn’t long until I felt a hand grasping mine.

I glanced over at her, but she was still looking forward, watching the white powder starting to cover the leaves with her mouth slightly ajar in amazement.

“It’s beautiful,” she whispered breathlessly and I hummed in agreement.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw her turn towards me, twisting her torso so she was facing me, and after a moment of nervous hesitation I copied her moves, mirroring her position.

Her normally pale cheeks were rosy from the cold, a contrast to her porcelain skin. Strands of dark hair had come down and fell in her face.

Softly, she lifted her free hand – the one I wasn’t already holding – and rested it on my cold cheek.

Hesitantly, like two curious kids, we leaned closer until our lips connected gently.

Her lips were soft, almost like velvet, and warm and I just never wanted to stop. So I didn’t. I tilted my head, deepening the kiss gradually.

The snow became heavier, falling more firmly around us, around the bench that Charles dedicated to Edna.