A Route to Follow

Chapter 12

-Jules’ P.O.V.-

“I reckon we should stay another week though,” Pippa said out of the blue.

We were supposed to be packing to go home the following day, but instead we all sat scattered around the living room with brooding faces; everyone had grown incredibly attached to Amy and her house.

“You should!” She agreed cheerily, perking up immediately. “I mean, you don’t have to, but
it’d be nice. Get’s lonely here,” she laughed.

“I would love to stay,” I confirmed and everyone gave agreeing, somewhat similar replies.

Gee looked over at Ellie with his best puppy dog face. She stood in the doorway, leaning against the frame with her arms and ankles crossed. “Can we?” he asked then.

She frowned before arching an eyebrow. “ Why is this my decision!? I’m not your mother…!” she exclaimed. We all stared at her in silent shock. Inhaling deeply, Ellie turned towards Amy. “We’ll stay,” she said with a curt nod, reddening by the second.
Breaking into cheers, we celebrated. I saw Ellie sneak out the door and quickly followed without making notice of myself.

When I caught up with her, she was already by the door of her and Mikey’s room. She left it open behind her and stood silently in front of the old glass doors to the balcony. Knocking discretely on the wood of the door, I made myself known.

“Come in, Jules,” she approved without taking her gaze off the blackened sky, from which snow still fell.

I stood beside her after quietly closing after me, giving us a bit of privacy. “What’s wrong, Ells?” I asked, nudging her arm lightly.

She sighed, shrugging mildly. “I don’t know. I honestly don’t know,” she confessed truthfully. “’Cause everything’s good; my life’s fine, I’m fine, Mikey’s fine, everything is fine, just fine!” she ranted, eyes getting glassier for each word, but she was still looking out. “I just feel… stressed and it’s so frustrating and it feels as if I’ve got this huge pressure on me!” Finally, she turned towards me.

“But I’m not; the decision is in my hands and I want nothing more than this, it’s amazing and it makes me so happy and–“

“Stop!” I interrupted, probably wearing the biggest frown I could ever achieve. “What question? What are you talking about?”

She smiled. A timid and shy smile, biting her bottom lip in hesitation. A nervous giggle escaped her and she fiddled with the ends of her sleeves.

“He, uh… Well, Mikey has…” Another set of giggles made itself known, bubbling from her lips. “He’s asked me to marry him,” she squealed, throwing herself around my neck.