For the Last Night I Lie, Could I Lie With You?

Someday

A week into the school year and we started getting busy. Flyers and papers and forms were coming at us like bullets from a machine gun. For German club, Spanish club, French Club, Drama club, Crime Watch, Marching band, everything you could think of and then some. David and I already decided we were going to join German club again like we did every year and Elena was really set on joining Drama. Ericka wanted to tryout for the volleyball team.

“So, I have Drama tonight. It’s the first meeting. I think you should join, Bridgette. You’re in choir so I bet you’d be great if we did a musical.” Elena told me at lunch one day.

“Perhaps, but I suck at acting so I probably won’t join. Plus, I am planning on running for Präsident of German club.” I informed her.

“Aw…ok, fine.”

“Hey, Bri, can you come over tomorrow and help me practice a little? Volleyball tryouts are this weekend.” Ericka inquired.

“Sure thing.”

Ericka and I played on our Jr. High volleyball team together. We’re both setters. My dad thought I was good enough to make the junior varsity team my freshman year, but I decided to quit. Now I just help Ericka with her mechanics.

“Have you guys heard anything about Homecoming yet?” David wanted to know.

“It’s only September. It’ll be a while before they tell us anything. You know how the Great Cosmo likes to hold off on everything so she can watch us all freak out the week before.” I remarked.

Everyone at the table nodded in agreement.

The Great Cosmo is the nickname given to our principal.

After lunch, David and I headed back to German. Frau was hanging up a sign on the chalkboard. It had red neon lights that said ‘Don’t Mess With The Frau’. I burst out laughing when I saw it. She spun around and laughed.

“You like it? I had it custom made.” She told me.

“It’s perfect.” I replied.

‘Don’t Mess With The Frau’ is an inside joke my German 1 class made up way back in freshman year. No one wants to face her wrath and that sign will be the everlasting reminder of that.

David and I sat back down in our seats. Our second half of the lunch period served as a mini study hall so we could work on our German homework and stuff. After the bell rang we went to our real study hall.

“So, have you made any new observations since the first day of school? You know, about a certain young man whom I still think you have feelings for?” David inquired.

“Yes, I literally have him cornered in all our classes and every time I do it he completely freaks out. In a silent sort of way.”

“Maybe you should back off.”

“No, I could leave him vulnerable or he’ll think I lost interest and that won’t get me anywhere.”

“But if he thinks you’re, like, stalking him or something he’ll get really freaked out and never want to talk to you.”

“Oh, this is so difficult. If nothing happens by next week then I’ll talk to him. I’ll just do it. Silence will get us no where.”

“I suppose that could work.”

I nodded and scribbled more stuff down in my notebook. Some of the words I wrote sounded rather poetic. Perhaps I could use them as song lyrics when we eventually start that unit in music theory.

“This day, someday, we kept falling down. Someday, this day all we had to keep us safe and if we never sleep again it would never end. Well, I thought I heard you say to me ‘we’ll go so far…far as we can.’ And I just can’t stand. One day we’ll run away.”

David chuckled behind me, “and you say you don’t like the new kid.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment please
Comment bitte
Comment por favor
Comment per favore
Comment pyydän

~BeNJi