Help Me up When I Fall

Secrets

Wednesday, two weeks later

The next two weeks went smoothly. I got up, ate breakfast, had class, ate lunch, more class, ate dinner, did homework, then helped the boys with whatever pranks they needed finishing touches on. They keep asking me to help actually pull the pranks instead of just plan them, but I always have to decline. I don’t need my “father” hearing about it and saying something. No one at Hogwarts knows I’m a Malfoy, and that’s the way I’m keeping it. All of my teachers call me Miss Marie, so it’s not a problem.

Heading up to Transfiguration from Herbology always confuses me, because you have to go up a bunch of stairs, jump over the stair that traps you, go past the door that says transfiguration over it but isn’t really a class (it’s a wall, by the way. Fred and George got a good laugh trying to make me go in), then go up a lot more staircases, turn left, go down the hall, turn right, then you’re finally there.

So, making this journey takes some concentration, which is why it’s a problem that the twins take this way to get to the History of Magic classroom that’s a floor below. So they have to follow for a while.

“So, Jess, we were thinking about using you.” Fred said with George nodding in agreement.

“You want to use me?” I repeated, making sure I heard right.

“Yes, Fred needs some help getting some not so pretty third year girls away from him. So we figured that you could pretend to date him whenever they’re around.” George said, looking as if he was struggling to keep a straight face. Fred on the other hand couldn’t stop laughing at George’s story.

“So Fred, quite the popular twelve year old aren’t you?” I said, laughing.

“I know. Everyone else in my year wishes they were as cool as me. Even my twin brother wishes he was as cool as me.” Fred said, sighing.

“Aww, it’s okay George. You’re already way cooler than Fred.” I said patting George’s arm. Fred’s jaw dropped in mock surprise and George smirked at Fred.

“Jess likes me better. Jess likes me better.” George sang. Fred and I couldn’t contain our laughter as we watched everyone’s faces as George sang his song.

“So, seriously now.” Fred said as we headed up the stairs leading to the second floor. “We thought you’d be good for one of our pranks.” Right there my good mood vanished. I longed to help them, but because of the Malfoy family it wasn’t possible.

“Guys, I told you before. I have much more fun just helping you plan. Besides, if I’m involved I’ll end up helping more. Before you know it, I’ll be just as bad in school as you guys are.”

“Great Fred, we’re friends with a nerd.” George said. I rolled my eyes as Fred laughed.

“Sorry little girl, shouldn’t you be hanging out with the Ravenclaws?” Fred asked. I laughed and walked up the staircase leading to the third floor.

“I hang out with them behind your back. They’re way cooler than you guys and Lee.” I said looking back at them. I saw Fred run towards me before he pushed me gently to the wall.

“Take it back.” He said.

“No.” I said, smiling broadly.

“Take it back.” Fred said again.

“Or what?” I asked.

“Or else.” George said. I laughed.

“Yeah right.” I replied, slipping out from Fred’s grip and heading towards class.

“Where are you going?” George called.

“To class.”

“Why would you do that?” Fred called in response.

“Because I’m not like you guys.” I replied.

“That’s a problem.” They called together. I laughed and kept walking. I was heading up the stairs to the fourth floor when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

“Didn’t I tell you before that a first year girl shouldn’t walk alone in the corridors?” A familiar voice said from behind me. I turned around to see George grinning.

“I think I may have heard that before.” He laughed, grabbed my hand, and pulled me the opposite way of where I was heading. “George, where are we going?” I asked.

“We’re ditching class. Fred and I decided we need to teach you to be more like us.” He explained.

“So Fred will be there too?”

“No, Fred and you will ditch next time.” I rolled my eyes but followed him anyway. We ended up in the Gryffindor common room. I sat down on the couch and he sat in one of the armchairs.

“Jess, can I ask you something?” George asked, seeming cautious.

“Sure.” I replied warily.

“Well, you always say that you have more fun helping plan pranks. And you do look like you have fun when we do. But, when we ask you to pull pranks with us, you say no, but it doesn’t look like you’re happy with your answer. If you look at your eyes, they don’t look happy when you say no. Fred and Lee have noticed too, so I’m not just going crazy.” I would’ve laughed at the crazy comment, but for once George’s expression was completely serious and I could tell that no amounts of jokes would get him out of it. Sighing, I tried to think of an answer without giving away the “Malfoy” thing.

“It’s just…my parents are very strict. And before I got on the train, before you found me, they said that if I got into any kind of mischief that I would be in big trouble when I got home. And I don’t want to disappoint them.” I said. There, not a complete lie.

“Wait, your parents were there on the platform?” I nodded. “Then why weren’t they helping you get your stuff onto the train?”

“They had a meeting.” I lied. George seemed to be pleased with that answer and I sighed on the inside. “Aren’t you glad they did though? If they had helped I wouldn’t have met you, Fred, and Lee.” I pointed out.

“Oh, you would’ve met us one way or another. Nothing would’ve kept the four of us apart for long.” George said. I laughed and got off of the couch. “Now where are you going?” George asked.

“Lunch.” I told him.

“But the bell hasn’t even rang yet.” As soon as he finished talking the bell rang. I laughed as he sighed in annoyance at the bell.

“See ya.” I said walking away and through the portrait.

“Hey wait up!” He called. We ran into Fred and Lee and went to lunch. The boys were talking about a prank for later that day. What the prank was I have no idea. I was too busy trying to figure out how long I could keep it a secret that the Malfoy’s were my adoptive family.