Under Ground

A Prolouge

“The first (and most distinctive) thing I remember seeing in the Under Ground was the tree and the girl on the swing. Nothing remarkable, really, considering the circumstances. However, I suppose there was one thing that would be odd were it to be put into your mindset, you see, the swing was not attached to the tree. No, in fact the thread connected to the seat just continued going up, sort of fading from view eventually as the sky continued getting darker higher up. The string had no visible point of ending, yet the swing still hung there.
And, just as the swing was not connected to the trees, neither was the seat in which the girl sat upon, under the bows of the tree. It was directly above the tree at a point, where, if the girl had stopped swinging and let the swing slow to a stop, she could probably touch the leaf of the tallest branch with her foot, if she stretched. As it was though, I don’t believe she would have, even if she had stopped; even if she had wanted to stop.
Now, as I continued to stare at the swing and the girl on it, (not paying the slightest bit of attention to the happenings of the tree,) my mind began to come back to me and I wondered how on Earth such a thing functioned. For you see, at the time, my mind still worked like yours, and I fancied what I was seeing as the stuff of daydreams. I did not stop to consider my situation and the reality of what was around me. So, thinking myself dreaming, I called out to her.
‘You there!’ I said “Would you care to explain to me how it is that you are staying up there? You see, I am a scientist, and science tell us that…’
At this point I sort of trailed off, the thoughts of rational explanations about objects requiring a solid point of attachment in order to defy gravity, fleeing my mind. Because, the moment I opened my mouth to speak the girl began to disappear. First her feet, then slowly her legs, followed by her dress, torso and arms. Her shoulders went next, and her hair, till finally all that was left was her face. The swing of course was still there, and continued to swing as though her body were there too. Her face even moved as though she were still swinging. Then, that vanished too.”
The speaker stopped then as he came to the end of his tale. A vague look in his eye as he gazed past the younger man and into the woods.
The other, younger man was silent a moment, mouth agape, but then asked, “… And was that the first time you met Alice?”
“Hmm?” The man turned back to him, as if just remembering he was there. The large hat perched on his head swayed precariously as he moved. “Why yes, though she most certainly didn’t realize at the time. In fact, I am almost certain that she didn’t even comprehend that she was here at the time. She’s quite a strange girl, ever so prone to daydreaming. I would imagine that’s how she got here. Figuratively speaking of course, because when we “met”, per say, she was not all the way here. Her mind was here, to be sure, but her body was still back at home. Indeed, the only time she has ever come here with her body was when stumbled upon the Tunnel-Hole.” At this he gave a sigh, “But I don’t believe she’ll be coming back like that again. They completely boarded it up now. Only Rabbit can go through now, and even he has to use a key. Although, I don’t believe he’s used it in some time. He’s been so busy since the Revolution. As have the others. Can’t even get together for a nice cup of afternoon tea anymore, can we?” Suddenly he paused to look at his pocket watch, frowning before he spoke again “And neither can I it seems. I suppose it’s time for you to be on your way.” He said nonchalantly to the young man sitting at tea with him. Quickly, he began to gather up his things and stack the cups and plates.
“B-b-but sir!” The young man stuttered, fumbling for his words. “How am I supposed to get back?”
By now, the older man had stood up, collected his coat and was prepared to go on his way when he heard the inquiry. Turning around he answered very calmly “Just wake up.”
Time seemed to stop around the younger man, his expression frozen in a look of stupidity and confusion. Then, just as Alice had many years ago, he began to fade away till there was nothing left.
Now alone in the clearing, the older man gave a funny sort of sad smile. Then, the Hatter, who was not quite as Mad as he used to be, turned and began walking through a Wonderland, that was no longer so wonderful, thinking of a very curious girl who had left so much chaos in her wake.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please don't flame me *cowers, waiting for flames*. It's supposed to be a surrealism piece, and the dialogue and writing are supposed to be choppy, it adds to the theme. Also, I'm kindof pissed mibba doesn't have double space, it makes it hard to read. Other than that, I'd love to know what people think!

Disclaimer: I don't own Alice in Wonderland or Through the Looking Glass- rights go to Lewis Carrol, I'm just messing with his ideas. -_-