Hello, I Dislike You Intensely. Have a Nice Day.

Entry #11.

Two very strange things have just occurred.

I'm at that one park again, where I've been leaving all my diary entries in the trees, and I was wandering amongst those trees again, when I thought I saw something half-buried in a knothole of one of them. And it was not one of my diary entries. I brushed the dirt off the top of whatever-it-was, and saw it was a folded-up square of gray lined paper. The indentations of handwriting showed through the back side of the paper. But underneath this was definitely one of my entries. Which could only mean one thing. Someone had found and was responding to what I'd written.

I started to hyperventilate.

This wasn't supposed to happen. I hide my entries really carefully, and who looks in the knotholes of trees anyway? Seriously?

Just to be sure, I opened up the square of paper, and indeed, the words 'Dear Dani' glared smugly back at me from the top line of the paper. I folded it frantically back up so none of the other words could find their way into my foveal vision, and buried it back inside the knothole. I felt suspiciously as if I were being watched. Not that creeper-stalker-oh-my-god-I'm-gonna-get-raped kind of being watched, but like the entire world (the entire Milky Way, more like) had been watching me. Like my actions and reactions were being secretly displayed on some giant intergalactic movie screen that a zillion eyes were trained on, watching and waiting for my next mistake.

I backed away slowly from the tree. Then I backed away some more. And I kept backing away until I found myself wandering into the golf course. Not wanting to be concussed by any stray flying golf balls, I turned to my right and headed in that direction until the golf course gave way to lightly forested hills (sprinkled with lost golf balls). I was cresting a hill when the wind brought voices to me. Two voices, male and female, and one of them very familiar...I crept up the side of the hill, my footsteps camouflaged in the sounds of the wind rustling the grass. The voices issued from a stand of evergreens. Through a gap in the needles, I caught a scrap of a face. Pale skin, green eyeliner-lined eyes, red hair spilling out on the grass. I changed my stance to see the other face.

Alex.

I mean, of course he would have a girlfriend. Guys like Alex always do. I mean, there's no real reason for him not to have a girlfriend, right? I mean, all guys have girlfriends, or have had girlfriends, or are about to get a girlfriend. Unless they're like creepy or robotic or something. And similarly, all girls have boyfriends unless they're creepy or robotic or unlucky.

Like, that's just how it works, right?

So why am I spouting barely-coherent rubbish?