First Day Back

Chapter 3

Ameera’s ears burned as they crossed the quad. All eyes were on the random guy who was walking around the school following some chick in jeans. She could hear the whispers of some of the groups they passed.
‘Who the hell does she think she is?’
‘Isn’t that Joe Jonas?’
‘Ameera Conrad! When last have I seen her?’
‘I thought she got expelled.’
‘I thought she moved.’
‘I thought she was a dork.’
‘Isn’t that Joe Jonas?’
Ameera couldn’t believe what she was hearing- obviously a few rumours had gotten around.

Joe stared in wonder, walking slowly behind Ameera gave him the opportunity to soak in the absolute beauty of the school and the glorious mountain. His eyes wondered to Ameera’s backpack with the Camp Rock badge on the back. Her head was bowed and her ears were red. He walked a little faster. Once he was walking next to her he put his arm around her shoulders.
“Don’t worry,” he whispered, “every thing’s gonna be great. I can’t wait to meet your friends! And forget the rest of the people in this school; you can’t let them get you down.”
She looked up at him; he could see the love in her eyes.
“Thanks, Joe,” she said, “I’m so glad you’re here to help me through today.”

As they passed through the basement locker room Ameera could see the back of her cousin, Saarah. She forgot her insecurities and that Joe’s arm was still around her and ran to her cousin and friend.
“SAARAH!” she shouted, the eyes of the entire locker room on her now.
“MIMI!”
The two girls embraced, laughing.
“Oh my word, Mimi, I missed you SO much! I can’t believe you’re finally back!”
“I know,” Ameera replied, “I want to introduce you to a special friend of mine,” she turned around to look at Joe, “Hey you!” she said, “Get your rockstar ass over here!”
Joe laughed and walked towards her. Saarah looked up at him and started giggling.
“Hey Saarah,” he said, “it’s so awesome to finally meet you! Ameera told me so much about you.” He put out his hand to shake hers, she was still giggling.
“Don’t mind her,” Ameera said, “she’s not used to meeting international superstars! Come on, we’ve got to get to the table. Bye Saarah!”

As they left the locker room, Joe could tell that Ameera was feeling a lot more confident. ‘Bumping into her cousin was a great thing for her,’ he thought.
He slipped his hand into hers and whispered in her ear, “Thanks for letting me be here with you, te quiero.”