The My Chemical Romance Study Guide

The real MCR Bible: Chapter 2

“Okay. Metamorphosis. Basically, people are useless and stupid as caterpillars,” said Frank, receiving a glare from Bob. “No offense, Bob. Anyway, after they’ve learned about Gerard, they change from the inside out.” Frank waited. And waited. And after five seconds of waiting, he was bored.

“That’s your cue, Mikey,” Bob whispered.

“I can’t hear you!” called a muffled voice. Frank glanced at Mikey, who was curled up in a ball and lying on the floor, completely hidden by a blanket.

“That’s your cue!” Bob shouted this time. Mikey threw the blanket off of himself and stood. Frank snickered upon seeing the purple fairy costume wings he was wearing. Mikey just glared at him.

“Shut up, Frank.”

“O-okay. S-so, after people know about Gerard-” He burst into laughter, eyes watering. Bob started to laugh, but Mikey quickly silenced him with a death glare. “After people know about Gerard, they change from the inside out and become…butterflies!” Frank said happily. Mikey ran in dizzying circles, pretending he could fly. Bob and Frank went into full-fledged laughing fits, and the guitarist ended up calling off his chair.

“What are you guys doing?” asked a new voice. They all froze immediately and looked toward the doorway.

“We’re not worthy!” Frank suddenly shouted, cowering beneath the desk. Mikey hid under the blanket, while Bob just stared at them in confusion.

“I thought I told you guys to stop doing that every time I see you,” Gerard said in exasperation, shaking his head. Bob shrugged.

“We can’t help it. Old habit,” said Frank as he came out of hiding. So did Mikey.

“Really, though, what are you guys doing? We don’t have time for this. Bread-and-Fish Fest is today.”

“Do we need to bring any food?” asked Frank. Gerard shook his head.

“No, just bring everyone you know. I’ll provide the food.” Frank nodded and returned to his letter.

“We were just trying to explain to the Toroans why they shouldn’t be evil and why they need your help. But they’re oblivious, so we have to send them a letter,” said Mikey.

“What if they just have a bad Internet connection?” Gerard asked. Frank shrugged.

“Can we get back to this? I think it was actually pretty fun,” said the drummer.

“Why don’t you guys just let me help you?” said Gerard. They all froze.

“Oh. Why didn’t we think of that?” said Mikey in confusion. Gerard used his awesome power to kick Frank out of the chair, and took his place, writing insanely fast and speaking every word as he wrote it. After all, his faithful disciples needed to hear the Word, too.

“There are seven different gifts bestowed upon the inhabitants of this earth. First is prophesying, spreading the Word, preferably through that which we call Music. Second is serving, being willing to do anything for thy lord, Gerard. Third is teaching, such as one who explains the Word to others.”

“You sound really conceited,” said Frank, glowering at him. The guitarist still wanted to write their letter.

“I have every right to be conceited,” Gerard said casually. “And if you don’t agree with me, the Angel of Death will be sure to change your mind.” Another person instantly appeared next to Gerard, looking like an earlier version of himself. The person had black hair reaching halfway to his shoulders, with a strange mask of black makeup hiding his eyes. Black bat wings unfolded from his back. He wore a black shirt and red tie, the customary apparel of those working for Gerard.

“You called?” he asked in a singsong voice. Gerard shook his head, and the Angel’s shoulders slumped. “I never get to have any fun,” he said sadly before disappearing.

“Fourth is to encourage those who do not yet understand the Word, by listening to their concerns and reassuring them. Fifth is to give to others, such as giving the music of the Word to others through the use of CD’s. Sixth is to provide leadership, such as creating a band that gives tribute to the lord Gerard.”

“You’re doing it again,” said Frank. “Maybe I should write it-”

“And seventh is to show forgiveness to those who may even be undeserving of it,” said Gerard, interrupting him and making him feel guilty. “Such as the jocks and preps who do not understand the Word.”

“Why so many?” asked Mikey.

“They all work together, so everyone can have a chance to serve,” Gerard said as he finished writing.

“But there is so much evil in the world!” cried Bob, grabbing a chocolate bar before Bob the goat could eat it. “How are we to overcome it all?”

“I’m glad you asked,” said Gerard with a smile. “There are seven actions one can take…”

“What’s with the sudden seven obsession?” Frank whispered to Mikey. Mikey just shrugged in response.

“Bless those who persecute you - for they know not whom they are dealing with and will receive their rightful smiting in due time. Rejoice with those who rejoice, for as believers you must come together as a group to strengthen your faith. Mourn with those who mourn so that they do not fall away from faith, and live in harmony with one another.”

“That’s impossible,” said Mikey sadly. “There’s no way these people can live in harmony with each other. They can’t even decide who should get to use the blender, let alone live in harmony.”

“Do not fear but instead have faith, for those with the power of Gerard working through them will set the world right,” said Gerard with a confident smile. He loved speaking in the third person. “And now, to continue. Do not be proud and boast of power you do not control, but instead associate with those of lower status in society and bring them to faith so that they might become your equals. Do what is right in the eyes of everybody so that more people might wish to be like you and come to faith. Lastly, you must live in peace with others.”

“You’re kidding, right?” asked Bob - the person, not the goat. “Haven’t you seen the war going on?”

“All will be dealt with in due time,” said Gerard, scribbling the words so fast that smoke began to rise from the paper. His awesomeness kept it from going up in flames.

“So, how did you consume evil with good?” asked Frank.

“When accused of wrongdoing, I remained silent, which frustrated the evil to no end. When I was betrayed by my believers and given up to be persecuted, still I offered them friendship. When I saw violence I reacted by healing those injured. And when I was killed by the very people I was trying to save, I forgave them. And their faith is stronger because of it.” Gerard finished writing the words and dropped the pencil on the desk, but it was almost nonexistent because he touched it and it almost melted. He stood and walked through the doorway.

“I’m going to go make a smoothie, anyone want one?” he asked just before leaving.

“Can I operate the blender?” asked Mikey, standing to follow him. “I never get to.” They locked hazel eyes for a second. Both suddenly ran down the stairs to the kitchen. Gerard tried to make a coffee-flavored smoothie while Mikey grabbed a ton of fruit and began pelting him with it.

“Stop it!” shouted Frank. Both of them froze. Frank’s eye was twitching. “Nobody moves, nobody gets hurt.”

“Frank, take it easy there,” said Mikey in a shaking voice. Frank was holding their beloved Blendtec blender over the sink, threatening to drop it, thus shorting out the electrical system and shattering the glass. Gerard calmly raised one hand, and Frank was then filled with the holy spirit of Gerard.

‘Give the blender to Gerard,’ he told the guitarist through his mind. Frank slowly handed it to him, and all was once again peaceful.