Status: Has been on Hiatus due to the huge rush of uni life, but now first year is over, I'm going to do my best to give you lovelies the ending you deserve! =)

Diary of a Reluctant Ruler

Meredith!

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Olly cleared off once she’d made sure I was well equipped with ice, pain killers and water, and the next morning I woke up with a huge bruise around my ankle, to a shouting mother coming up the corridor.

“Meredith! Oh lord, what is wrong with you girl!” She burst into my room, waving one, no several, newspapers in my face.

“What?” I asked, taking one of the newspapers. The front page had a blown-up image of me and James in the sea with the horses, then a smaller one of him carrying me inside last night. The bold title proclaimed:

“Princess Meredith Makes a Splash with Earl!”

The crown princess Meredith was sighted twice yesterday with the young Earl of Aramathia, James Jacinthe. Their secret engagement is rumoured to have started through Lady Olivia, the Princess’s close friend from school, and the Earl’s sister...”


Aw…

Dream on, dearie.

“Oh,” I said, flopping back onto the bed from my uncomfortable one-legged position.

“ ‘Oh’ doesn’t quite compare, does it?” My mother’s face looked furious. She threw down five other papers, all with several pictures of me and James at the beach, and the same shot of him carrying me back into the palace. Grandmother appeared from nowhere, holding yet another paper.

“Eleanor! I’m glad you’re here. We need to sort this out, and quickly. Meredith, get changed into something formal and come with me.”

I changed as fast as was possible with a bad ankle, into a tailored jacket with matching black trousers. I pulled on my black converses gingerly, trying not to hurt my ankle.

“What did you do to your ankle?” Mum asked, cooling down a bit now Grandma was here.

“Twisted it last night trying to get away from a reporter.”

“Wasn’t Jonathan Tilley was it?” Grandmother asked.

“I think so.”

“Says here, when the princess was asked about the Earl, she only blushed,” Grandmother seemed half amused.

“And fell into a bush,” I mumbled darkly.

“What was that?”

“Nothing, Mum.”

We set off towards the public rooms, where journalist sometimes interviewed members of the royal family, and meetings between parliament and the family took place. When grandma saw me hopping along, she stopped by a linen closet.

“Here,” she said, thrusting a pair of crutches into my face. I recognised them from when Felix had broken his leg. I wondered why they were in a linen closet. Grandma seemed to be revealing a whole new side today.

“Now, I’ve rung several members of press, and they’re going to interview you on what is really happening between you and James. I trust you’ll know what to say.”

Grandma straightened my collar and gave me a rare smile, and went ahead of me into the conference room. A wave of sound hit my ears.

Just a few members of the press hey, grandma?

1, 2, 3, 4... There’s um... there’s a lot of them.

I sat down at the middle chair, where several microphones had been wired up, mum to my left, grandma to my right. I swallowed, my heart beating rather fast.

“Ladies, and gentlemen, if you’d settle down please, the Princess will now answer your questions.”

Grandma sat back down, motioning to one of the reporters near the front.

“Princess, are you engaged to the Earl?”

“No, I am not.”

“Are you a couple?”

“No, not at all, we’re simply friends.”

“What about last night, why was he carrying you?”

“I twisted my ankle outside; he was merely getting me back inside the palace.”

“How did you twist your ankle?”

“I was trying to escape a rather persistent journalist.”

A murmur of appreciation rippled through the room.

“Princess, how do you feel about the pressure to be married?”

I hesitated at this question.

“It’s a little bit old fashioned that law, but if I meet the right guy... Otherwise, I guess the country will just have to deal with it.”

“Do you have a boyfriend, Princess?”

“No, I’m single. Who’s asking?”

I felt a little more confident as mild laughter rippled through the room.

“Are you straight?” I blinked at this question. Grandmother opened her mouth indignantly, but I stopped her.

“Yes, I am.”

“How does the Earl feel about the articles in the papers?”

“I wouldn’t know, I haven't seen him.”

“Do you see each other regularly?”

“Actually, I only met him yesterday.”

“Are there any plans for an arranged marriage?”

“No.”

“Would you ever agree to an arranged marriage?”

“I don’t think so.”

“Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, that will be all,” Grandma said, switching off the microphones. “You handled that well Meredith.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Anyone who cares to whore this, or another one of my stories, will be equally whored here! =]

Ivy, xXGreyWingsXx (c) 2008