Status: Has been on Hiatus due to the huge rush of uni life, but now first year is over, I'm going to do my best to give you lovelies the ending you deserve! =)

Diary of a Reluctant Ruler

Knock 'Em Out Naked

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Eager to overcome the hurdles of excess guests to mine and James’ outing, I put aside a good hour for getting ready. I moaned and groaned without Olly’s help to tell me what looked good and what really didn’t.

Eventually I settled, reluctantly, on a dress I was used to wearing from last year. It never did me any good to go for something new when I was nervous. It was white, with an embroidered black trim, a little over-knee length. I laced up a pair of black shoe-boots, slipped my hair into a tactically messy bun, curled a few pieces so they hung over my shoulders, took a deep breath and headed downstairs.

Jade was standing in the lobby, talking quietly to Nick. I heaved a sigh of relief when I saw that they had also gone for smart-casual, Nick wearing a shirt minus tie, Jade in a high-collared red dress, with two slits up the side.

She must choose her wardrobe carefully.

Why?

Because she has to be able to knock-out bad guys whatever the situation.

Never thought of that… What if you were in the bath?

Well, knock ‘em out naked.

Element of surprise…

“Phil!” Nick cried, “At last! We thought we’d be going alone.”

“I’m sure you wouldn’t have minded,” I replied.

“Well, maybe not,” Nick said, slipping a smile to Jade.

She does look rather gorgeous…

That’s not fair, bodyguards shouldn’t steal your limelight!

Well, you’re not trying to trap Nick, are you?

No.

So everything’s fine.

Philippe waltzed in a moment later, wearing a crisp white shirt and black trousers. He stood awkwardly for a moment, nodded in my direction. Nick engaged him in conversation and he soon talked happily about his day.

I perched on the edge of the window seat, sighing a little.

“You alright?” Jade asked, sitting down next to me. Her voice was totally neutral, no hint of an accent. I guessed it was part of the bodyguard thing, not being able to be traced to a certain country.

“Fine,” I replied.

“I guess you wouldn’t tell me if something was wrong,” Jade replied musingly.

She’s a 4!!! SHE’S A FOUR!!!

What are you yelling about?!

She’s a blimming four!

Oh… you mean, “Four, (and this is extremely rare;) accept it.”

Yes!!!

I smiled genuinely at her, happy to have found a kindred spirit in so unlikely a place.

“So…” I mused, “What qualifies you as a bodyguard?”

Jade raised her eyebrows at me, then smirked.

“Fifteen years of specific training, a combined one hundred and ten years of martial arts experience in 7 different disciplines and a composed disposition in stressful situations,” she said, as if quoting a kung-fu movie.

“Wow,” I breathed, my eyes wide.

Jade grinned at my expression.

“We should get you trying some,” she said.

“That would be… amazing,” I gulped.

“Well, when you’ve got a free moment.”

Two men in black suits, tall and butch, approached us from across the hall. Jade stood up, a look of annoyance across her face.

“I already have clearance, Jenkins,” she snarled.

“That may be, Miss, but I’d rather hear it from sir’s own lips,” the shorter of the two replied.

“Fine, bother him if it makes you happy,” she replied snappily, folding her arms behind her ramrod straight back.

“Sir?” short-guy asked.

“Yes?” Nick asked, looking surprised.

“Are we to accompany you?”

“No, Jade has full clearance for this, there’s no sense in making a palaver about it.”

“Yes sir,” short-guy nodded, a slight hint of annoyance on his face.

The tip of Jade’s lip turned up in a slight smirk, though not unfriendly. The two left without another word, not bothering to apologize to Jade.

Someone’s got their knickers in a twist!

“Yikes,” I said out loud.

Jade laughed, sitting back down.

“They’re annoyed that I should go with you,” she explained, “They seem to think a man would do better handling the situation.”

“Urk!” I cried, “No way!”

“Yes way,” Jade imitated, “My argument was that I would look less conspicuous than the suit-twins. Plus, a princess shouldn’t be alone un-chaperoned with three young men.”

“Oh, no…” I trailed off.

James arrived in a bustle then, his arrival prompting my heart into a nervous dance of self-torture. Unlike the others, he had a tie on, but it was loose and his collar was left unbuttoned.

Smart-casual so suits him… *sigh*

Would you please shut up! You lower the tone of the whole story.

What, me?!

Well I wasn’t talking to the wallpaper.

“Sorry, sorry,” James repeated, bustling us outside to the car.

“You ok?” I asked.

“Fine fine,” he said, holding the passenger seat door open for me.

Repetitive much?

Philippe promptly stepped into my seat.

James blinked, then nodded, closing the door after him and holding open the other door for me. I laughed, and went in.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just loved this dress (it's Phil's)! Have a look.

Thanks for the picture OMG it's Tara! That is most certainly unique.

We might have stopped being able to get more stars, but that doesn't mean I can't get more comments!!! Love ya readers!!!

Ivy, xXGreyWingsXx (c) 2008