Status: Has been on Hiatus due to the huge rush of uni life, but now first year is over, I'm going to do my best to give you lovelies the ending you deserve! =)

Diary of a Reluctant Ruler

Poo to Proper

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
“How was your evening, Cherie?” Madeleine asked next morning at breakfast.

“Alright,” I replied.

“In other words, not what you expected,” Madeleine said, smiling.

I smiled back and finished my toast.

I stumbled across James in the library, watching the crows circle the treetops outside from the window seat. I sat down opposite, quietly taking in the view. James stirred next to me, so that he was facing me. I smiled at him when our eyes met.

“Good morning,” he said, his voice a little rough.

“Hi,” I replied.

We watched each other for a moment, his dark brown eyes making my heart beat to a quicker tempo.

“Sorry about… last night,” I said.

“No need,” James replied.

“Well, you seem to have put a lot of thought into it, and then I managed to get Phil, Nick and Jade invited along as well…” I mumbled.

“Wasn’t your fault,” he said, “It’s the horse riding tournament today.”

“Is it?” I asked, perfectly aware that it was.

“Yes,” James said.

“And you’ll ride?” I asked.

“Yes.”

There was a tiny awkward pause, broken only by a raucous blackbird outside.

I looked away from outside to see James staring at me thoughtfully. Unable to look away, I quite suddenly found myself unable to breath, and my cheeks glowing crimson. James looked away first.

“If this was medieval times you might give me a token,” he smirked.

“Token?” I asked.

“You know, a ribbon or something to show I’ve got your favour,” he replied.

I hummed thoughtfully, trying to break the awkardness I’d still retained from the silence.

How about a kiss instead?

You can’t just ask people for kisses!

Why not?

It’s not proper!

Well poo to proper.

“How about a scarf?” I asked.

“That would do perfectly,” James replied.

“Meredith?” mum’s voice called.

“In here,” I called back.

“Ah, there you are,” Mum said as she entered.

“You look nice,” I commented, a light green dress setting off her pale complexion.

“Thank you dear,” she replied, “Your grandmother would like to see you before you go out to the competition.”

“Ok.”

She promptly glided away again.

“See you at the stables?” James asked.

“Yup,” I replied.

Oh god, why do I sound like such a dweeb?

I found grandmother in her suite, wearing a smart riding jacket, breeches and boots.

Cor, those boots are shiny!

Like twin mirrors sparkling in the sun.

There isn’t even any sun in here.

“Ah, Phil,” Grandmother sighed.

“Grandma,” I said, smiling at the return to my name.

“We’ve got quite a few guests arriving, so I wondered if you would put off riding till the end of the afternoon, and welcome them first?” she explained.

“Oh, am I meant to be riding?”

“Well, nobodies said you’re not,” Grandma winked.

I laughed.

“Why not keep it secret? Then show them what you’re made of,” she said.

“Ok,” I smiled.

“So, go get changed, then you can go straight to the course.”

“Grandma,” I nodded.

“Hang on!” she called, as I went to go.

“Yes?”

“I haven’t seen you curtsy recently, Phil,” she said.

I sighed, and sank into a curtsy, my knees creaking uneasily.

“Work on it,” Grandma ordered.

“Yes, Madame.”

“Grandma.”

“Yes grandma.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so it's not Saturday, but I just checked the last chapter to make sure there were no html mistakes etc, and it was soooo short! So I thought I'd give you another!

Ivy, xXGreyWingsXx (c) 2008