Status: Has been on Hiatus due to the huge rush of uni life, but now first year is over, I'm going to do my best to give you lovelies the ending you deserve! =)

Diary of a Reluctant Ruler

One Cheesy Postcard Scene

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
“Phil!” someone muttered, shaking me by the shoulder.

“Go away,” I moaned, turning over in bed.

“Phil, come on!”

Shove off.

That’s not nice, what if it’s Santa?

If Santa is in my room halfway through the night in October, I’m scared.

“Hmmm?” I groaned.

Someone’s lips touched mine and I jerked awake, hitting my head on the bedstead.

*whimper*

“Ow!” I cried, “Who is that?!”

“Guess,” James said.

“The bogey man?” I asked.

“No,” James replied, “Guess I earnt that.”

“Guess you did,” I grumbled, “What are you doing waking me up at… 12 o’clock? Man, I only just got to sleep!”

“There’s something you need to see,” James said, standing up.

“Can’t it wait until morning?” I asked.

“Not exactly,” he replied.

“Aw…” I groaned.

“Oh come on, grumpy!”

Tell me he didn’t just name me after one of the seven dwarves.

It was inevitable…

“Fine, do I have to get dressed?”

“Just put on a jumper and some shoes,” he replied.

“Fine.”

I got up and searched for a jumper amongst my baggage. I still hadn’t unpacked and we were three days into our stay at the Jacinthe’s chateau. I shoved my already-socked feet into some boots and let James lead me downstairs and out of the French windows in the living room.

Outside was cold, but oddly light. The sky was clear, so you could see the stars, and straight ahead a full moon hung like a huge silver penny above the trees.

It’s so pretty…

Yeah, like one of those cheesy postcards you buy in tourist shops.

“Where are we going?” I asked after a while.

“To the lake,” James explained.

“Oh,” I replied, still unsure, “Will it take long?”

“As long as you want,” James replied.

“I’m not bored - just a little bit cold,” I explained.

James touched his hand to the side of my face.

“Good god, you’re freezing!”

“I’m just a bit cold-blooded,” I grinned.

James wound off his scarf and tied it loosely round my neck.

“Thanks,” I mumbled, too cold to protest.

James took my hand which wasn’t seeking warmth in a pocket, and we set off again; we were into the forest now, where the shade seemed oddly warmer than the open, the trees casting odd dull shadows on the pine needle floor. After about fifteen minutes walk the forest suddenly fell away, a long rolling wave of reflected silver hill spreading down to meet a small lake. I’d seen it in the daylight, but it was nothing compared to this.

The moon, hanging above the other side of the lake, and the pine forest, was reflected perfectly in the sheer satin surface of the water, which glowed with reflected radiance. Everything took up a white sheen, an ethereal glow, which seemed to soak through my own skin.

I just stood, marvelling in the utter silence.

“Do you like it?” James asked.

I gave a short sigh.

“It’s absolutely beautiful,” I replied.

“Good,” James said.

He led me down the bank a little way, to a fairly even piece of rock. We sat down and simply watched as the moon climbed higher, continuing its slow quest over the water.

“When I first saw it, I thought I was dreaming,” James said softly, “I was fourteen, and I couldn’t sleep; went for a walk, and here it was. A goddess bathing in my lake. I came back for a good few nights, until I realised that the moon’s changing face meant that it wasn’t always in the lake. I did some research, and found the days when it would be, and the time as well. You’re lucky you were here tonight.”

I stayed silent, drinking in the liquid silver.

James hugged me close, resting his chin on my shoulder from behind. He cleared his throat a few times, as if he was attempting to say something.

“I think I love you, Phil.”

What?

o.O

“Are you – are you sure – are you sure you mean that?” I asked, question catching in my throat.

“Well, hence the ‘I think’, but I’m getting more certain by the day,” James replied.

“But, we’ve hardly known each other that long, I mean… love is meant to be a kinda four years, five years thing…” I babbled.

“Well, it’s better than one or two nights, which is about how much time Disney princesses generally have,” James replied.

“I guess, but…”

There was an awkward silence.

“Phil, if you don’t feel the same way-”

“I didn’t mean that!” I cried, distress rising.

James smiled and kissed my cheek, his lips velvety soft.

“I think I might – I think I might love you too,” I replied, after a moment.

“Well, there we go,” James replied, “We’re even.”

“Even? Love isn’t a battle you know,” I said.

“Sometimes it certainly feels like it,” James mumbled.

Silence reigned for a while whilst we watched the moon climb out of the lake’s reflection. James sighed next to me. Hesitantly, I turned myself in his loose grasp, until I was facing him. Some inevitable tug made me lean forwards and kiss him softly, something undeniable, yet utterly comforting. His lips melded to mine.

Everything got a little bit too heated a few moments later, and I forced myself to pull away before I lost all sense completely.

“Sorry,” James mumbled, “Guess I got carried away.”

Passion be an unruly beast.

Urgh, please shut up.

“Doesn’t matter,” I replied.

“You realise that was the first time you’ve kissed me?” he asked.

“Oh…” I said, “I suppose it was.”

“It felt nice,” James commented.

“Well, I’ve got an endless supply of kisses, just waiting to be dispensed,” I replied, then laughed at the cheesiness.

“What’s the price?” James asked warily.

“Only that you kiss back,” I laughed.

“I’m sure that can be arranged,” he replied.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm running out of pre-written chapters!!! This is one of my favourites though...

Hello to the most marvellous xxxEMBRACEDxxx!
Sadly, last I heard, she was on Chapter nine, so she may not see this for while...

And let us raise a glass to the hope of future happy-squeaky-noises as queenofswords24 so aptly named them.

I think the next person to comment will tip us over into 17 pages worth...

Ivy, xXGreyWings (c) 2008