Status: Has been on Hiatus due to the huge rush of uni life, but now first year is over, I'm going to do my best to give you lovelies the ending you deserve! =)

Diary of a Reluctant Ruler

Earl of Bachelordom

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
After that Sunday, college made its comeback with a fresh wave of essays and homework, but everything was tempered by the knowledge that once the bell went, I could safely escape home, to James. Well, there was also Languages, Etiquette and Dance to consider, but Dance had been conquered by James as well, thanks to a few non-Mme-Vennart lessons and a good bit of practice. And Languages wasn’t so bad, especially considering that Maria was now supporting my aim to learn Elvish.

Etiquette, sadly, retained its usual depressive nature.

“Meredith!” Grandmother snapped, “That is the third time you’ve let your back slump!”

With a flick of the wrist Grandmother produced a book and a slide rule.

Nooo!

Baby.

“Balance!” she commanded, placing the book, with slide rule on top, on my head.

I endeavoured to keep my head upright; if Grandmother aimed to make me look like a bad circus act, she was certainly winning.

“Now, I will repeat once more! Do not walk in the middle of the path, rather the sides! You are to nod if you pass a lady! Should a man bow to you, it is up to your own discretion as to nod back! Do not smile to strangers! A nod will suffice! Should you meet someone you wish to converse with, do not obstruct the path! Turn and walk with them instead...”

My attention slipped and the book fell to the floor with a crash.

“Meredith!” Grandmother cried, “Stand and balance!”

I stood up, replacing the book and slide rule on my head.

“Again! Do not walk in the middle of the path…”

The book began to feel like a lead weight on my head; I felt it begin to slip again and wobbled precariously.

“Do not let that book slip Meredith!” Grandmother hissed.

“I apologize, Madame,” I mumbled.

The book somehow regained its former position.

“Repeat what I’ve just said!”

“Do not walk in the middle of the path, instead walk at the side. Nod if you pass a lady. If a gentleman acknowledges you, use your discretion in replying. Do not smile to strangers, a nod will do…”

“Well enough,” Grandmother nodded, “Now, there is one final matter, before you retire.”

“Yes, Madame?” I replied, wearily.

“You may sit, without the book.”

I thankfully replaced the book on the table, with the slide rule next to it.

“Thank you, Madame,” I said, once I’d sat.

“Meredith, as I’m sure you are aware, I was married at eighteen to your grandfather, god bless his soul. You are already seventeen, fast approaching eighteen.”

Oh good lord, where is this conversation going?

“The time has come, for you to be married!” Grandmother stated grandly.

YEARGH!!

Such alien noises you emit… Sadly, I must reciprocate.

Eh, you what?

…I agree.

Ah.

“Over the coming Christmas months, you will probably meet many eligible young bachelors. I trust you have already met some, in and around palace life.”

James…

The Earl of Bachelordom.

“However! This decision is not entirely up to you! I expect you to be open about any preferences you may pursue, and to consult me in all matters. Or your mother. Do you understand me?”

“Yes Madame?” I croaked.

“Good! Now, as to preference, I sense that you and the Earl of Aramathia have grown close,” she continued.

Is this cringe worthy or what?

Cringe worthy. With a hint of cheese.

“Yes, Madame?”

“Meredith, just be careful how you let your heart get tied up,” Grandmother said softly.

“Thank you, Madame… I will.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Say hi to the glorious shy.is.who.i.am, Love.Life.xo and skiegirl!

I'm supposedly redrafting my coursework essay, whose final deadline is Friday.
However, my brain feels like it is stuffed with cotton wool.
So I have abandoned The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock for the time being, and have swapped "the emotional futility of consciousness" for some nice, peaceful etiquette...

This chapter pushes us over to three pages worth in my editing!

Ivy, xXGreyWingsXx (c) 2008