Status: Has been on Hiatus due to the huge rush of uni life, but now first year is over, I'm going to do my best to give you lovelies the ending you deserve! =)

Diary of a Reluctant Ruler

War Council

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
As promised, Grandma summoned us to a war council. We gathered around the table I practised place settings on in her suite – Grandma, Mum & Dad, Erica, Jade, James & Me – with plenty of paper and a whiteboard.

“Okay,” Grandma said, with business-like precision in her voice, “I bring this meeting to order.”

This is going to be lo-ong…

“We shall go around the table and state our fears and priorities for the coming months,” she ordered, “Edward, you’re first.”

She pointed at Dad, who nodded and took a breath.

“I think we need to be able to make it clear that Meredith and James are well suited to becoming Queen and King-”

Good lexus.

“-so that the papers can’t fire rumours around again. We need to give them a chance to realise that they work together as a couple. Particularly, we need to give James some exposure in official matters.”

“Thank you,” Grandma said, when he’d finished, “Eleanor?”

“Well, I think we need to balance what these two want and what the country expects. I think we need to work out some way of having the wedding private, but also public, so that the wedding isn’t ruined by press but the press don’t feel shut out… I think we may need to look into having a second reception for just close friends and family.”

A second reception?

Forget today being long, the wedding’s going to last forever!

“Erica?” Grandma prompted.

“I really don’t think I have a right to say anything,” Erica babbled, looking up from her notes on a pad of A4.

“If you have anything that might be of worth, we’d welcome hearing it,” Grandma replied.

“Oh, well, ok…” Erica blushed, “I think Meredith and James need to have some time on their own. We need to make sure that they – that they get to know each other really well – so that they know they’re making the right decision – although I’m sure they’re sure already and know exactly what they’re doing – I just think we need to make sure they get enough time in private so that they don’t end up exhausting themselves.”

I smiled thankfully at the point, which I’d been hoping to raise myself.

Grandma nodded, “Jade?”

“We need to coordinate some more security,” Jade answered, “The press and paparazzi will be even more rapid to latch onto anything to do with them now, and particularly once the news of the engagement is made public. It’ll be important to make sure that both are protected at all times. It’s unlikely anyone will try to assassinate either of them, but the press may very well put them in a dangerous situation through trailing them. One only has to look at Princess Diana to know that.”

I winced at the mention of the English princess.

“Good point,” Grandma nodded, making a note on the paper in front of her, “James?”

“Er, I agree with everything so far. I think it’s important that I start filling in the gaps in my knowledge – I know Phil gets taught a lot about politics and etiquette etc, and I don’t want to show her up with a faux pas,” he smiled at me, and I remembered the issue with the forks a while back, “I think it might be a good idea to take things gradually – I’d rather not dive in at the deep end.

“And… And I’d like to get to know you all better. Obviously, I know Phil and I know Felix a little, but apart from that I don’t feel like I know very much about any of you. And I’d like to have a chance to prove myself to you as well as the public. Sounds kind of cheesy, I know-”

James stopped and grinned sheepishly, “Er, that’s about it.”

“Nicely put, James,” Grandma smiled, “Meredith?”

What I wanted to say was the following: I want to be able to keep on the right side of the press, and equally, I want them to keep on the right side of me. If they do anything else to mess my life up, I swear… but I didn’t, as a rant wasn’t the sort of thing a future queen should exhibit. So instead I remained focused;

“I agree with Dad, we can’t give them reason to rumour. And Erica, thank you. I really don’t want us to get too caught up in publicity that we forget each other in the process,” I stated.

“Thank you Meredith,” Grandma nodded, “So we agree that our priorities are as follows; keep press positive, market James and Meredith as king-and-queen material, teach James anything necessary, keep them safe whilst also remembering to allow time for us to grow together as a family and them as a couple. Any objections?”

No one spoke.

“Good. Now, onto item one; putting off the announcement of the engagement…”

Grandma began to list things that would be necessary, precautions to take. Horrified at the suggestion that I take off my beautiful engagement ring, we compromised and agreed to move it to my right hand until we announced things properly. Plus, it needed resizing, so that would take a little time. We would wait until August, a month after my 18th birthday, to properly announce the engagement, for a marriage in April the next year. So three months of secrecy and then eight months until we’re married. Nearly a year in total until… well, until then.

I’m finding it difficult to say the word ‘m- m- ma-’ You know the one.

You’re probably in denial about everything.

It seemed like forever until then.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I didn't update last week. :(
For some reason Mibba kept wiping the chapter every time I clicked submit.

Thanks to everyone who commented on To Jump, Perchance to Fall!
Yoshimi,
silent.tears.eternal.,
TheMusicCameFirst,
skiegirl,
and im.a.liarliar!

Also thanks to claire13138, your comment means a lot to me!

And hello again Fronkensteen!
Long time, no see!

Love you all, lovelies, & see you next week!

Ivy, xXGreyWingsXx (c) 2010