Sleepless at 3 a.m.

Zombie Night

I walked to Derrick Hall out of breath. Why the heck did he have to live at the top of the hill? I stopped to catch my breath and leaned against the railing. Really should stop smoking those cigarettes I chuckled they are going to kill me. That or this hill.

I continued my walk up the hill till I reached Derrick Hall, one of the many dorm halls here on campus. Though this one was all male. If you had asked me to live in an all female dorm I would have asked you if you were insane. Living with the same sex for an extended amount of time more so when there are more of you tends to be a tad bit crazy. I looked around the courtyard till I found him, sitting on the table, engulfed in a world of smoke.

“ Hey stranger” I laughed as I walked closer to him .

“ hey there back” he smiled as he jumped down to greet me. He handed me a cigarette which he lit for me. “ I was surprised when you called, you know most girls call at decent hours.”

I shook my head, “ But I’m not a normal girl and we never meet at a decent hour. So why should calling be any different?”

he smiled, “ touché.”

We sat there on the bench smoking our cigarettes quietly. My hand itched to find his but was planted in the middle between us. I hate this part I thought to myself. He likes me, I like him but we are both too shy to actually do anything. We finished our cigarettes and walked into the Dorms where it was warmer. His room looked like a paint spray can had exploded. Color was everywhere. He had paintings hanging on the wall. Sketches tapped to his mirror. On the floor were paint brushes and oil sticks. I looked at him gaping.

“ this is your room?”

He chuckled and nodded, “ Yeah excuse the mess, I like to think it makes me a genius. They say Picasso lived in a pig sty too.”

I rolled my eyes, “ yeah and he didn’t sell a painting in his life.” I laughed as I moved towards his bed and plopped down. I looked around for a room mate but did not find one. “ Is this your room? Like just yours?”

He nodded, “ Yeah my room mate has a girlfriend who has an apartment. So he rarely spends the night here. Which is good, I like my space at times.”

I smiled wickedly, “ and at other times?”

He sat down next to me and leaned into me and put an arm around my waist as he pulled me close and kissed my lips softly. I felt my heart flutter and pick up speed. Did the world just tilt to the left or was that just me? I thought. He leaned back and smiled. “ And at other times I like to watch movies with a pretty girl.”

I laughed and shoved him. “ Ha ha. Okay what movie are we watching? Got any zombie flicks?”

His eyes widen, “ A girl that likes zombie movies? I’m in love. Marry me.” He laughed.
I flipped him the bird and rolled my eyes. “ Yes I love zombie movies. 28 days and weeks, Resident Evil ( though the it doesn’t do the game justice), Dawn, Land, Day of the dead, and pretty much any zombie movie I can get my hands on. I heard they are making World War Z into a movie.”

He nodded, “ Yeah I heard that too! It’s one of my favorite books. I planned out my escape route in case the zombies attack.” He added matter of factly.

I smiled with joy. This guy was seriously getting some brownie points for knowing his zombie stuff, “ And where pray tell do you intend on going when they come?”

He smiled, “ To a small city. Less people. Less chance of more zombies. By a clean river for drinking water. Probably somewhere in Wimberley.”

I laughed, “ Wow me too! My friends and I have been planning to go there ever since we started school here. Its good because its in the mountains and isolated.”

He nodded and grabbed a movie. “ Okay my little zombie queen lets see how you like the Day of the Dead the remake.” He popped in the movie and jumped on the bed with me.